Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by sa...@c2.org on 1996/06/04 01:14:16 UTC

protecting .htacess files from other users

	A user of mine had an interesting idea.

	He is using .htaccess and my mod_ecash to charge people to see
his web pages. But they have to be world readable so anyone with an
account here can read them.

	His idea, was to create

/www/u/user/guess/this/directory/path/sucker/

	all executable but not readable.

	The URL to the files in that directory though, would be

http://www.c2.net/~user/[ENCRYPTEDSTRING]/

	Webserver would see encrypted string, know the key, decrypt
away, and serve the right file.

	Basically it would be a fancy form of "Alias". Call it
"CryptAlias" or something.

	Anyone else think this is a good idea? Enough to write it? (I
wish I could write it, but I am moving my office. Swamped beyond
belief.)

--
Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-601-9777x3
http://www.c2.net/ (or login as "guest")		sameer@c2.net

Re: protecting .htacess files from other users

Posted by "Jason A. Dour" <ja...@bcc.louisville.edu>.