Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Tobias Ullrich <li...@dump.netvanced.eu> on 2010/03/29 22:54:28 UTC

Ideas for GSoC

Hey Guys,

the deadline for students to sign up for the GSoC program is coming and I
thought it would be really cool to get the chance to participate and
contribute to MyFaces.
I co-organized/attended a talk by Matthias Wessendorf and Bernd Bohmann on
JSF 2.0 / MyFaces 2.0 in January and I'm hooked since then.
Long story short, there are only two MyFaces tickets in the GSoC JIRA and I
just wanted to ask you guys if you have some more ideas for which I could
apply.

Cheers,

Tobias

Re: Ideas for GSoC

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

I have just added one more proposal from me.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES-2634

@Gerhard: hurry up with adding your proposal!

best regards,

Martin

Re: Ideas for GSoC

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi tobias,

Re: Ideas for GSoC

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi,

i agree with matthias. let's do it step by step. we should start with the
basic stuff (as mentioned in the jira issue).
if we have time, we can add further modules (add-ons) later on.

Re: Ideas for GSoC

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Hazem Saleh <ha...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Tobias,
>>
>> I wish to see an entity visualizer from which the user will be able to
>> define the entities and the relationships between them.
>>
>> After the user completed the entities definition, (s)he can specify extra
>> parameters that affects the generation way (Some of the parameters are):
>
> starting with some "defaults" is fine, IMO. eg:
>
>> 1. The build configuration type: Ant or Maven2.
>
> => Maven
>
>> 2. Generated code style: Sun Convention or Apache Convention.
>
> => no question... ;-)
>
>> 3. Targeted web server: Tomcat, Glassfish, or others.
>
> jetty (not only due to maven)
>

>> The user should also be able to control the dependencies used by the
>> generated code for example:
>> 1. JavaServer Faces Implementation: RI or MyFaces (I prefer to have MyFaces
>> as the default implementation).
>
> not a real question, for the default. Later on, of course: Mojarra 2.
>
>> 2. JavaServer Faces Version: By default 2.0.
>
> yeah, no need for JSF2

=> 1.2 ... (sorry)

> bean-vali + ExtVal
>
>> 4. Persistence: JPA, Hibernate ...etc.
>
> why hibernate? Stick with JPA2 (is Apache openJPA already on JPA2 ?)
>
>> 5. Target Database: MySQL, Oracle, DB2, or others.
>
> derby ?
>
> +1 on CLI; works for the most ;-)
>

>> Finally, the functionality done by the user interface should have equivalent
>> CLI.
>>
>> I wish that we can use some pre-made tools like (Roo) and customize it for
>> the generation part.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Tobias Ullrich <li...@dump.netvanced.eu>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey Guys,
>>> thx for your replies.
>>> The application builder idea sounds very interesting and, if it is fine
>>> with you, I would like to apply for it.
>>> Hazem/Gerhard: Could you guys give me some more input on your idea? Maybe
>>> a bit more detail about how you imagined the user interface and the add-on
>>> part?
>>> Cheers,
>>> Tobias

>> --
>> Hazem Ahmed Saleh Ahmed
>>
>> Author of (The Definitive Guide to Apache MyFaces and Facelets):
>> http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Guide-Apache-MyFaces-Facelets/dp/1590597370
>> http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B002M052KY
>>
>> Web blog: http://www.jroller.com/page/HazemBlog
>>
>> [Web 2.0] Google Maps Integration with JSF:
>> http://code.google.com/p/gmaps4jsf/
>> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/wa-aj-gmaps/
>>

> --
> Matthias Wessendorf

Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: Ideas for GSoC

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
to clarify, this is just a suggestion, for the starting (early version)......

-Matthias

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Hazem Saleh <ha...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Tobias,
>>
>> I wish to see an entity visualizer from which the user will be able to
>> define the entities and the relationships between them.
>>
>> After the user completed the entities definition, (s)he can specify extra
>> parameters that affects the generation way (Some of the parameters are):
>
> starting with some "defaults" is fine, IMO. eg:
>
>> 1. The build configuration type: Ant or Maven2.
>
> => Maven
>
>> 2. Generated code style: Sun Convention or Apache Convention.
>
> => no question... ;-)
>
>> 3. Targeted web server: Tomcat, Glassfish, or others.
>
> jetty (not only due to maven)
>

>> The user should also be able to control the dependencies used by the
>> generated code for example:
>> 1. JavaServer Faces Implementation: RI or MyFaces (I prefer to have MyFaces
>> as the default implementation).
>
> not a real question, for the default. Later on, of course: Mojarra 2.
>
>> 2. JavaServer Faces Version: By default 2.0.
>
> yeah, no need for JSF2

> bean-vali + ExtVal
>
>> 4. Persistence: JPA, Hibernate ...etc.
>
> why hibernate? Stick with JPA2 (is Apache openJPA already on JPA2 ?)
>
>> 5. Target Database: MySQL, Oracle, DB2, or others.
>
> derby ?
>
> +1 on CLI; works for the most ;-)
>

>> Finally, the functionality done by the user interface should have equivalent
>> CLI.
>>
>> I wish that we can use some pre-made tools like (Roo) and customize it for
>> the generation part.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Tobias Ullrich <li...@dump.netvanced.eu>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey Guys,
>>> thx for your replies.
>>> The application builder idea sounds very interesting and, if it is fine
>>> with you, I would like to apply for it.
>>> Hazem/Gerhard: Could you guys give me some more input on your idea? Maybe
>>> a bit more detail about how you imagined the user interface and the add-on
>>> part?
>>> Cheers,
>>> Tobias

>> --
>> Hazem Ahmed Saleh Ahmed
>>
>> Author of (The Definitive Guide to Apache MyFaces and Facelets):
>> http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Guide-Apache-MyFaces-Facelets/dp/1590597370
>> http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B002M052KY
>>
>> Web blog: http://www.jroller.com/page/HazemBlog
>>
>> [Web 2.0] Google Maps Integration with JSF:
>> http://code.google.com/p/gmaps4jsf/
>> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/wa-aj-gmaps/
>>

> --
> Matthias Wessendorf

Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: Ideas for GSoC

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Hazem Saleh <ha...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> I wish to see an entity visualizer from which the user will be able to
> define the entities and the relationships between them.
>
> After the user completed the entities definition, (s)he can specify extra
> parameters that affects the generation way (Some of the parameters are):

starting with some "defaults" is fine, IMO. eg:

> 1. The build configuration type: Ant or Maven2.

=> Maven

> 2. Generated code style: Sun Convention or Apache Convention.

=> no question... ;-)

> 3. Targeted web server: Tomcat, Glassfish, or others.

jetty (not only due to maven)

> The user should also be able to control the dependencies used by the
> generated code for example:
> 1. JavaServer Faces Implementation: RI or MyFaces (I prefer to have MyFaces
> as the default implementation).

not a real question, for the default. Later on, of course: Mojarra 2.

> 2. JavaServer Faces Version: By default 2.0.

yeah, no need for JSF2

bean-vali + ExtVal

> 4. Persistence: JPA, Hibernate ...etc.

why hibernate? Stick with JPA2 (is Apache openJPA already on JPA2 ?)

> 5. Target Database: MySQL, Oracle, DB2, or others.

derby ?

+1 on CLI; works for the most ;-)

> Finally, the functionality done by the user interface should have equivalent
> CLI.
>
> I wish that we can use some pre-made tools like (Roo) and customize it for
> the generation part.
>
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Tobias Ullrich <li...@dump.netvanced.eu>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Guys,
>> thx for your replies.
>> The application builder idea sounds very interesting and, if it is fine
>> with you, I would like to apply for it.
>> Hazem/Gerhard: Could you guys give me some more input on your idea? Maybe
>> a bit more detail about how you imagined the user interface and the add-on
>> part?
>> Cheers,
>> Tobias
>> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Gerhard Petracek
>> <ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> i added 2 issues:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES-2635
>>> and
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EXTVAL-89
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> gerhard

Re: Ideas for GSoC

Posted by Hazem Saleh <ha...@apache.org>.
Hi Tobias,

Re: Ideas for GSoC

Posted by Hazem Saleh <ha...@apache.org>.
I agree with Gerhard that CLI is enough for the first prototyping.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Gerhard Petracek <

Re: Ideas for GSoC

Posted by Tobias Ullrich <li...@dump.netvanced.eu>.
Hey Gerhard,

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Gerhard Petracek <
gerhard.petracek@gmail.com> wrote:

@add-ons,...:
> the basic question is: do you plan to use cdi internally?

I would like to try to use CDI even though I think that I don't get the
whole picture of CDI at the moment - but it would make it a bit more
challenging and interesting ;)

Cheers,

Tobias

Re: Ideas for GSoC