Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Matthias Fechner <id...@fechner.net> on 2008/04/15 16:13:43 UTC

Hold source code in two repositories

Hi,

is it possible to hold a source code in two repositories?
The background is that I'm often offline but I want to commit code to my
local repository (and diff, log etc all).

When I'm online again then the repo should commit all done changes to a
central repository.

Is that possible with subversion?

Thanks,
Matthias

Rich Cook

Re: Hold source code in two repositories

Posted by Nathan Nobbe <qu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Matthias Fechner <id...@fechner.net>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is it possible to hold a source code in two repositories?
> The background is that I'm often offline but I want to commit code to my
> local repository (and diff, log etc all).
>
> When I'm online again then the repo should commit all done changes to a
> central repository.
>
> Is that possible with subversion?

git-svn ;)

-nathan

Re: Hold source code in two repositories

Posted by Nathan Nobbe <qu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 5:46 AM, Matthias Fechner <id...@fechner.net>
wrote:

> Hi Andreas, Blair and Nathan,
>
> Andreas Schweigstill wrote:
>
> > Such a setup is possible with SVK:
> >

> thanks a lot for your answers, that would be really a great alternative.
>
> But what is not possible, I hope I understood the documentation correctly,
> is that I commit to a local (local on my network not on my PC) repository
> and then syncronize to a second subversion server.
>
> The background is, I have an own repository on one of my servers running.
> Now I want to commit to my local repository (to have a backup here) and then
> my repository should push the commit to the second repository. Maybe check
> first if the second repository accept the changes before I can commit to my
> own one.
>
> I'm not sure like it is called but it is like mirroring the repository or
> double commit to two place at the same time.
>
> The problem there is, I have only normal user access to the second
> repository.

one of the great benefits of a distributed vcs is the tendency to replicate
the data.  this time ill supply a link to save you the heavy work of
googling :)
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html

-nathan

Re: Hold source code in two repositories

Posted by Matthias Fechner <id...@fechner.net>.
Hi Andreas, Blair and Nathan,

Andreas Schweigstill wrote:
> Such a setup is possible with SVK:

thanks a lot for your answers, that would be really a great alternative.

But what is not possible, I hope I understood the documentation
correctly, is that I commit to a local (local on my network not on my
PC) repository and then syncronize to a second subversion server.

The background is, I have an own repository on one of my servers
running. Now I want to commit to my local repository (to have a backup
here) and then my repository should push the commit to the second
repository. Maybe check first if the second repository accept the
changes before I can commit to my own one.

I'm not sure like it is called but it is like mirroring the repository
or double commit to two place at the same time.

The problem there is, I have only normal user access to the second
repository.

Best regards,

Posted by Andreas Schweigstill <an...@schweigstill.de>.
Hello!

Matthias Fechner schrieb:
> is it possible to hold a source code in two repositories?
> The background is that I'm often offline but I want to commit code to my
> local repository (and diff, log etc all).
>
> When I'm online again then the repo should commit all done changes to a
> central repository.

Such a setup is possible with SVK:

http://svk.bestpractical.com/view/HomePage
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SVK_(Software)

I used it for some months quite successfully but the main disadvantage
is that it doesn't create the Subversion meta data in the sandboxes, so
it isn't possible to use tools like kdesvn or TortoiseSVN with SVK. But
this is also an advantage because on setups with multiple sandboxes this
can save a lot of disk space and also doesn't "pollute" the sandbox. The
meta data is kept in SVK's own repository.

SVK also uses its own merge tracking system which usually also works
with mixed Subversion and SVK environments, but I also noticed that some
changes had been "stuck" in the SVK repository.

Another nice feature of SVK is the possibility to have views which are
missing on Subversion. Unfortunately once I corrupted my SVK repository
when using views and wasn't able to push my changes from SVK to the
Subversion back-end, so these changes were completely lost. I don't know
if the current SVK release (2.0.2) has fixed those problems with views.

With best regards
Andreas Schweigstill

--
Dipl.-Phys. Andreas Schweigstill
Schweigstill IT | Embedded Systems

Re: Hold source code in two repositories

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Matthias Fechner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to hold a source code in two repositories?
> The background is that I'm often offline but I want to commit code to my
> local repository (and diff, log etc all).
>
> When I'm online again then the repo should commit all done changes to a
> central repository.
>
> Is that possible with subversion?

Use svk which is a layer on top of Subversion:

http://svk.bestpractical.com/

Regards,
Blair