Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Roland Kool <Ro...@tomtom.com> on 2012/10/19 17:18:13 UTC

CloudStack vs CloudPlatform

Hi all,

If I understand correctly, there are two version of CloudStack out there: Apache CloudStack and Citrix CloudPlatform.
I was wondering what the differences are between the two? For instance, is Citrix fixing issues in CloudPlatform that are not fed back into Apache Cloudstack?
There's also two bugtrackers: bugs.cloudstack.org and issues.apache.org. I learned from a previous thread that bugs.cs.o is deprecated. So what happens to all the issues that where raised there and not resolved or picked up?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Roland Kool | Sr. Systems Engineer | TomTom TechOps |

Re: CloudStack vs CloudPlatform

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
This is a great example of why we need to be super careful about our brand
and our messaging.

The old JIRA concerns me. I know we've talked about this before, but I do
not recall any definitive plans for it. It would be best if we could shut
it down, and migrate everything across to our current JIRA. Just from the
POV of having less confusion. But there may be drawbacks to this. Thoughts?

It might also be nice to get a diagram on our home page that clearly maps
out our ecosystem, and helps to explain the differences between Apache
CloudStack, the several products that Citrix has, and anything else that
seems necessary. Anyone want to pick that up?

--
NS

RE: CloudStack vs CloudPlatform

Posted by Will Chan <wi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <pr...@citrix.com>.
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 05:46:14AM -0400, Roland Kool wrote:
> Ok, thanks for the clarification and it's good to know that fixes
> are not 'lost' when it comes to Apache version.  I will resubmit the
> bugs/enhancement requests I entered in bugs.cs.o.
>
> One last question regarding a bug I raised that is resolved
> (http://bugs.cloudstack.org/browse/CS-15158). According to the
> ticket, some commits have been made to git.cloud.com. Is there an
> easy way to see whether or not these commits have made to the Apache
> git as well? I've been following the git log for a while but haven't
> seen them come by.

It looks like this fix hasn't made it to the Apache repo. Although the
ticket gives an ASF master commit-id. If the bug does have a commit-id
for the Apache repo you can check by doing a

 $ git branch --contains <commit-id>

I'd recommend posting the issues on Apache JIRA only in the future and
keep them unresolved and the concerned committer will fix it. Since
the project has diverged we have two rapidly moving targets and likely
some fixes might be missed.

Appreciate your diligence in keeping track of the issues!

--
Prasanna.,

RE: CloudStack vs CloudPlatform

Posted by Roland Kool <Ro...@tomtom.com>.
Ok, thanks for the clarification and it's good to know that fixes are not 'lost' when it comes to Apache version.
I will resubmit the bugs/enhancement requests I entered in bugs.cs.o.

One last question regarding a bug I raised that is resolved (http://bugs.cloudstack.org/browse/CS-15158). According to the ticket, some commits have been made to git.cloud.com. Is there an easy way to see whether or not these commits have made to the Apache git as well? I've been following the git log for a while but haven't seen them come by.

Thanks again,

Best regards,

Roland Kool | Sr. Systems Engineer  | TomTom TechOps |

Apache 4.0 is actually a rollup of all of the features implemented by Citrix in the 3.x branches + all changes to make it apache license compatible + new work that breaks out the plugins + changes to the build system.  So the current Apache 4.0 release will bring actually bring CloudStack to feature parity with current CloudPlatform releases.

For bugs, you should submit them to apache.  It will get better visibility there.

We're working to get apache releases ahead of CloudPlatform releases but currently that's not possible.

--Alex

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.
Roland,

Posted by Roland Kool <Ro...@tomtom.com>.

Posted by Will Chan <wi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Jessica Tomechak <Je...@citrix.com>.
The CPBM system requirements doc implies you can use it with open-source CloudStack. However, it looks to me as if they haven't carefully updated all their docs since they renamed CloudStack to CloudPlatform, so I wouldn't trust the doc 100%. This isn't really a discussion for the cloudstack-dev list, though -- I just had to add a doc link to this thread. It's a tech writer compulsion.

http://support.citrix.com/proddocs/topic/cloudportalbusiness-14/ccpb-systemreqs.html

Jessica T.
CloudStack Tech Pubs

Posted by Will Chan <wi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.
There have been open source usage of CloudStack before CloudStack was contributed to Apache.  While CloudStack was contributed in April of this year, it's been open source for some time before that.  We've seen some variants but have not kept track of every open source deployment.

However, CPBM at its current state on works with CloudPlatform.  Their roadmap does include support for other Cloud IaaS but I'm not sure if CloudStack is one of them.

--Alex

Posted by Adnan Ashraf <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adnan Ashraf <mo...@gmail.com>.
thanks for the correction...