Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Calpro <ca...@xtra.co.nz> on 2006/05/26 00:45:48 UTC

[users@httpd] LocalHost

Hi

I have recently downloaded and installed version 2.2 Apache, and after
adjusting the Listen port, it seems to be running Ok.

That is, it displays no error messages. But when I enter LocalHost into MSIE
I get the 404,  File not found.

LocalHost was entered into Network Domain and Server Name during
installation.

Can anyone see how I can get this working?

I have used the msi installer, into Windows XP, and I’ve used Repair,
Re-install, downloaded a new copy and installed again, always with the same
result.

I could find nothing in the FAQs, no errors in the logs, and have followed
the installation procedures in the 3 books I have here, but I have clearly
missed
something

I you are able to help, I’ll be most appreciative.

Thanks,

Ted.

Re: [users@httpd] LocalHost

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
On Thu, May 25, 2006 3:45 pm, Calpro wrote:

> I have recently downloaded and installed version 2.2 Apache, and after
> adjusting the Listen port, it seems to be running Ok.
>
> That is, it displays no error messages. But when I enter LocalHost into
> MSIE
> I get the 404,  File not found.
>
> LocalHost was entered into Network Domain and Server Name during
> installation.
>

> Can anyone see how I can get this working?
>

> I have used the msi installer, into Windows XP, and I’ve used Repair,
> Re-install, downloaded a new copy and installed again, always with the
> same
> result.
>
> I could find nothing in the FAQs, no errors in the logs, and have followed
> the installation procedures in the 3 books I have here, but I have clearly
> missed
> something
>

> I you are able to help, I’ll be most appreciative.

Well, what's your DocumentRoot? Do you have a index.htm / index.html or
other such Apache readable file there?

Re: [users@httpd] IE to Apache WebDAV

Posted by Ann Hopkins <se...@handypaws.com>.

That is a problem with the Windows side.  Look at this website.

http://ulihansen.kicks-ass.net/aero/webdav/

Re: [users@httpd] LocalHost

Posted by Dan Trainor <da...@v2web.com>.
Calpro wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have recently downloaded and installed version 2.2 Apache, and after
> adjusting the Listen port, it seems to be running Ok.
>
> That is, it displays no error messages. But when I enter LocalHost into
> MSIE I get the *404,  File not found*.
>
> LocalHost was entered into Network Domain and Server Name during
> installation.
>

> Can anyone see how I can get this working?
>

> I have used the msi installer, into Windows XP, and I’ve used Repair,
> Re-install, downloaded a new copy and installed again, always with the
> same result.
>
> I could find nothing in the FAQs, no errors in the logs, and have
> followed the installation procedures in the 3 books I have here, but I
> have clearly missed
> something
>

> I you are able to help, I’ll be most appreciative.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ted.

Hi -

If you're seeing a 404 error, this means that the server is responding
properly.  Please take Evan's advice, and read up a bit on DocumentRoot:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#documentroot

Your server is working.  Rather than firing out suggestions blindly to
your question, as the answers differ for being site-specific, if you
read that bit of documentation right there you should be well on your way.

Thanks!
-dant

Re: [users@httpd] LocalHost

Posted by Peter Schmitz <Pe...@ihug.co.nz>.
Ted

As I understand it, if you are listening at port x (x is not 80) then browse to
----------------
localhost:x
----------------
In my case I have Listen 8000 and I browse to localhost:8000

Regards
Peter

Re: [users@httpd] LocalHost

Posted by Bill Jones <te...@gmail.com>.
On 5/25/06, Calpro <ca...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> I have recently downloaded and installed version 2.2 Apache, and after
> adjusting the Listen port, it seems to be running Ok.

MSIE -- try a fully qualified URL:

http://localhost:port/

Obviously substitute "port" for some number that you are listening on.
--
WC (Bill) Jones -- http://youve-reached-the.endoftheinternet.org/