Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2002/08/08 16:01:03 UTC

[DEAL] Proposal: Inclusion of CocoBlog in scratchpad

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Or sourceforge?
>
> We should not use the cocoon cvs for cocoon-apps, I don't
> now the official "apache policy" on this. It is very good
> to have a cocoon-apps area, but I don't want to give all
> 'cocoon-apps' committers also access to cocoon itself.
> So it must be separated.

Sourceforge is good as a development environment, but it will not give
us the means of *showcasing* Cocoon apps. We will end up with
(hopefully) some portal site, but a miriad of little project sites
around this. I think Cocoon will be served better if we can group all
these applications under one umbrelle.

OK, here's my deal:

I'm dreaming of a Cocoon application development community, comparable
to SF, with CVS, mailinglists, and a Cocoon-app deployment environment.
I've been dreaming about this for the past few weeks and did some
homework. I've been figuring out the costs of hosting such a machine and
securing it sufficiently, and I might even consider to jumpstart this
entirely on our (=outerthought) own budget. No big iron server to start
with, of course, just as CocoDocoWiki is run right now.

Consider it to be CocoKrysalis. Now if other companies are willing to
co-sponsor this, they are welcome. This will cost *real* money.

In terms of opportunity management, it might not be wise to post such
statements knowing I'm going offline in a few hours. But since the
opportunity is there, and we are being confronted with the need for such
an environment, I hope you will give me some time to gather all this in
some plan, and come back to it in a few weeks. I'm dead-serious about this.

Warm regards,

</Steven>

Re: Cocoon apps Web site hosting

Posted by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>.
On 8/12/02 11:18 PM, "David Crossley" <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> wrote:

> David Crossley wrote:
>> Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

>>> Yes, a Web ring is definitely a good idea.

>>> Actually we should have something better than this, so that everybody in the
>>> Web ring is able to see the participants without the link management hassle.
>>
>> We could just modify the existing xdocs/link/hosting.xml
>> We certainly do not want to manage two documents.
>
> Sorry.
> On second thought, we actually do need two separate docs.
> "Cocoon Hosting" the existing one, is for organisations
> offering application infrastructure services to run your
> own Cocoon server. The Web Ring idea is specifically for
> fostering a Cocoon Apps developer community. Am i right?

Yes, that's right!

IMO the file does not have to be written in xdocs, we can use instead a
simple XML format to point to the RSS feeds, which have all the relevant
information. I use a similar idea on my Weblog to aggregate RSS feeds, check
out how it's done at:

http://www.webweavertech.com/ovidiu/weblog/archives/000014.html

> The "put an xml doc in CVS" idea is still relevant.

Yes, the CVS idea is good, although a nicer URL which doesn't depend on the
location of the file in the CVS repository might be better. We can probably
use mod_rewrite on the server side to do the redirection to the real URL, or
we can have a simple cron job which generates the file at the nicer location
in the Web server.

--
Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>
http://www.webweavertech.com/ovidiu/weblog/index.html (Weblog)

Re: Cocoon apps Web site hosting

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>.
Ross,

On 8/13/02 2:48 AM, "Ross Gardler" <rg...@wkwyw.net> wrote:

>> Actually we should have something better than this, so that everybody in the
>> Web ring is able to see the participants without the link management hassle.
>>
>> We can put the sites participating in the Web ring in an XML file on a
>> central site. All the participants can then fetch this file every once in a
>> while, and generate the HTML version of it. Very similar with the RSS stuff
>> in Weblogs.
>
> This would be good eventually, but someone has to write that stuff. How
> about a wiki to get us up and running? I can put a JSP wiki (the same as
> the one on outerthought up for this, although we should wait for Steven
> to come back of holiday before doing anything - I don;t want to "hijack"
> his idea)

I've already implemented this code for my Weblog. The process how this works
is described here:

http://www.webweavertech.com/ovidiu/weblog/archives/000014.html

It is actually a very simple implementation, and by putting the
subscriptions.xml file in CVS as David suggested, we achieve the goal
described above. Each site in the Web ring will then simply pull the file
from CVS over HTTP, and run the procedure mentioned in my Weblog.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>.

Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
> On 8/11/02 11:37 AM, "Ivelin Ivanov" <iv...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>How about a web ring?
>

> Yes, a Web ring is definitely a good idea.

Absolutley!

> Actually we should have something better than this, so that everybody in the
> Web ring is able to see the participants without the link management hassle.
>
> We can put the sites participating in the Web ring in an XML file on a
> central site. All the participants can then fetch this file every once in a
> while, and generate the HTML version of it. Very similar with the RSS stuff
> in Weblogs.

This would be good eventually, but someone has to write that stuff. How
about a wiki to get us up and running? I can put a JSP wiki (the same as
the one on outerthought up for this, although we should wait for Steven
to come back of holiday before doing anything - I don;t want to "hijack"
his idea)

Ross

Re: Cocoon apps Web site hosting

Posted by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>.
On 8/11/02 11:37 AM, "Ivelin Ivanov" <iv...@apache.org> wrote:

> How about a web ring?

Yes, a Web ring is definitely a good idea.

> I am about to host a coon apps site myself.
> Since we all might be running on different versions and with different ideas
> about our applications, maybe a loosely connected structure is better.
>
> Send me your URLs, I'll link from my web site.
> You can link to mine too:
> cocoonhive.org

Actually we should have something better than this, so that everybody in the
Web ring is able to see the participants without the link management hassle.

We can put the sites participating in the Web ring in an XML file on a
central site. All the participants can then fetch this file every once in a
while, and generate the HTML version of it. Very similar with the RSS stuff
in Weblogs.

Cheers,
Ovidiu

Re: Cocoon apps Web site hosting

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>.
>>I have already contacted Steven privately offering hosting facilites on
>>my own server, nothing particularly major but it is fairly well
>>connected here in the UK and will handle a moderate amount of traffic
>>without problems. Looks like we can start offering mirrors straight
>>away, if only we had something to mirror!
>

> This is great news!
>
> Is this a Unix/Linux box? Can we get shell access to it (over SSH
> preferably)?

Yes (Redhat 7.0). Yes, I have full admin rights over this machine and am
happy to install any software requried (or give someone the karma to do
it as my time is limited)

>>There are (theoretically) no limits to what we can do with this server
>>as at present it only hosts a dozen static sites. There is plenty of
>>available bandwidth, disk space and processor time available.
>

> All right, this is great! Do we need to share the costs of this hosting?

No, it is paid for up until April next year. I would hope to continue
paying for it after that, but of course, nothing is written in stone
apart from it is definetly there until April 2003. This is not really a
commercial server (I do have a half dozen customers on there but that is
only to spread the cost), I use it mostly for my research work since the
University support staff are far too busy to respond quickly to my requests.

Ross

Re: Cocoon apps Web site hosting

Posted by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.

Ugo Cei wrote:

> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> I would like to know how many people actually have applications that
>> can be put into this environment. I for one am making noise about this
>> but don;t __have__ anything to put in there yet. I intend to have
>> something but that is __very__ different as you all know ;-) So lets
>> also start a list of the real, working (even if only alpha) apps we have:
>>
>> * BringMeThis -
>> http://www.superlinksoftware.com/cocoon/samples/bringmethis/ - Andrew C.
>

> * CocoBlog - http://www.beblogging.com/blog/docs - Ugo Cei

I think a starting point for a list is

http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/link/projects.html

Michael

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

> One issue I see, as somebody else noted as well, is that different examples
> will need possibly different versions of Cocoon. We need to manage this
> complexity somehow.

I recommend getting with Nicola Ken and coming up with a solution using
centipede..  The Cooon-apps module could have a common set of build
fascillities, interactive build and even pull the right version of
things from a common repository.  When will all these features be
implemented...They already ARE!

http://www.krysalis.org/centipede

-Andy

Re: Cocoon apps Web site hosting

Posted by Justin Fagnani-Bell <ju...@paraliansoftware.com>.
> Yes, Marc, these are the core two things we need to capture.
>
> All projects hosted on the site should look similarly, check out
> MozDev.org
> to see what I'm talking about:
>
> http://www.mozdev.org/projects.html
>
> The second is how to manage the complexity of having multiple Cocoon
> versions (I think we can ignore the servlet container difference for the
> moment, that should not be taken into account IMO). We can have each
> example
> app deployed in its own war file, but with today's Cocoon runtime memory
> size and twenty different applications, 2Gb or RAM will be soon
> insufficient.

Isn't there a way to do this with a custom class-loader? You have a
system classpath and a user classpath. If a class is not in the user
classpath, it's loaded from the system classpath. This way a user only
gets their own Cocoon runtime if they have their own cocoon.jar in their
lib directory. I'm not completely sure, but I think my hosting company
(which has Cocoon support) does this, but then again my site isn't the
most reliable in the world.

Justin

Re: Cocoon apps Web site hosting

Posted by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>.
On 8/14/02 4:08 PM, "Marc Portier" <mp...@outerthought.org> wrote:

> sorry for the late entry.

No problem. We are still talking about this stuff.

>> We can assume that everybody runs on the same common version of
>> Cocoon, and
>> we have a single Cocoon version running on a single Tomcat instance. This
>> should satisfy the simple needs, and we can seek solutions for the more
>> complex problems as we move along.
>>
>> The Web ring is the other option which we should consider, and fortunately
>> that's something we can start running right away.
>>

> in fact it would be really neat to have a webring of such servers in the
> end.
> each of them could then be running a number of apps, the relevant portion of
> the docs,
> and refer to each other...
> all of them could have same skinning, ...
>
> I would go for starting the ring, and gradually find out how we can automate
> and streamline the different servers in there.
>
> The newly cvs repository should be driving everything (also the ring-file)
> So maybe it makes sense now, when thinking about the organization of the
> various apps in there, to reserve space for the mother-of-all-apps-process
> (as vagely described) that can be used to easily publish a number of them on
> a server.
>
> I know my thoughts are still a bit weary on this, but my work on the
> forrestbot made me think about generalizing the applied pattern to this kind
> of stuff... I'll be glad to contribute/co-work on something that could do
> this

Yes, this is what I was trying to convey too. We need to define this meta
application, which is used to create the Web site of the other applications.
We need to identify what are the basic needs for such a Web site and its
layout. Some skins for this layout would also be good, so that an
application's Web site can differentiate its look from others.

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.
sorry for the late entry.

+1

> We can assume that everybody runs on the same common version of
> Cocoon, and
> we have a single Cocoon version running on a single Tomcat instance. This
> should satisfy the simple needs, and we can seek solutions for the more
> complex problems as we move along.
>
> The Web ring is the other option which we should consider, and fortunately
> that's something we can start running right away.

in fact it would be really neat to have a webring of such servers in the
end.
each of them could then be running a number of apps, the relevant portion of
the docs,
and refer to each other...
all of them could have same skinning, ...

I would go for starting the ring, and gradually find out how we can automate
and streamline the different servers in there.

The newly cvs repository should be driving everything (also the ring-file)
So maybe it makes sense now, when thinking about the organization of the
various apps in there, to reserve space for the mother-of-all-apps-process
(as vagely described) that can be used to easily publish a number of them on
a server.

I know my thoughts are still a bit weary on this, but my work on the
forrestbot made me think about generalizing the applied pattern to this kind
of stuff... I'll be glad to contribute/co-work on something that could do
this

-marc=

Posted by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>.
Marc Portier wrote:
>>All projects hosted on the site should look similarly, check out
>>MozDev.org
>

> forrest skins should make this snap
> and I would consider it good practice for all projects to think about being
> skinned

Yes, there are two skins actively supported at the moment. The Forrest
one (http://www.krysalis.org/forrest) and to a lesser extent the
Krysalis one (http://www.krysalis.org, also used by Avalon I believe).
There could be a thrid but it would seem to be a waste of energy.

The forrest one would make us look like an Apache site, not a bad thing.

The krysalis one would give us the opportunity to leverage some of the
efforts Nicola has already put in to setting up a "pre apache"
community, although this is not focussing on Cocoon alone.

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>.
On 8/12/02 5:15 AM, "Marc Portier" <mp...@outerthought.org> wrote:

>> Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
>>> EUR CVS repository. Some developers might already have their own CVS
>>> repositories, perhaps at SF, but others may choose to have it
>> hosted here.
>>
>> I don't think the actual localtion of the CVS is particularly important
>> as long as there is a central place to find out about the projects.
> +1
> most of this (mail lists et al.) can be organized at various places
> the real difference would be in some kind of cocoon in ASP setup where the
> different projects can be ran in their own cocoon environment: showcase
> running apps before people get it from scratchpad of examples would be the
> differentiator (and the hardest work: different cocoon versions possibly
> different tomcat combinations...)
>
> that and the central website that talks about them.

Yes, Marc, these are the core two things we need to capture.

All projects hosted on the site should look similarly, check out MozDev.org
to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.mozdev.org/projects.html

The second is how to manage the complexity of having multiple Cocoon
versions (I think we can ignore the servlet container difference for the
moment, that should not be taken into account IMO). We can have each example
app deployed in its own war file, but with today's Cocoon runtime memory
size and twenty different applications, 2Gb or RAM will be soon
insufficient.

>>> How do people publish their content?
>>
>> Forrest is getting closer to making the automatic updating of content
>> from CVS repositories.
>>

> forrestbot is running since euh.. week or 2
> it's probably not the last incarnation of the thing, so there could be
> changes in the future, but it's running very stable over at our server to
> produce http://outerthought.net/forrest (actually also runs for
> http://outerthought.net with different content and skin)

Forrest can take care of publishing static documentation, but how about
deploying new functionality in an application? Especially those whose data
source is stored on the live system. I was arguing that we need a staging
area for such things, where people can actually test the application before
pushing it on the live site.

>>> It would be great if
>>> we can get some thoughts on what we need here.
>>
>> I think the whole question of how and when things are published need to
>> be handled by Forrest. Perhaps people more active than I can comment on
>> how this would work.
>>

> see http://outerthought.net/forrest/forrest-contract.html
> I can easily give a hand on setting up the forrestbot conf for different
> projects

Got it, thanks!

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>.
>>>EUR Web site presence. I think we need to have a combination of static pages
>>>with dynamic ones, to show off examples and so on.
>>
>>It certainly needs to be Cocoon hosted!
>

> One issue I see, as somebody else noted as well, is that different examples
> will need possibly different versions of Cocoon. We need to manage this
> complexity somehow.

Yes, I think the web ring, with (eventualy) a central repository of
information distributed via RSS would be the best bet. Either my server
or the Outerthought server could be the control point for this.

For those who don't have access to the resources, I am sure I can
provide hosting on my server for them.

>>>Do they have access to a
>>>staging area to test their site, and then publish it?
>>
>>I would say that the "staging" area is the developers own
>>responsability. Once it is in CVS it is considered publishable. Would
>>this mean maintaining a permanent branch for development work, keeping
>>the main branch for approved bug fixes only? Or possibly the other way
>>around, that is have a "release" branch for Forrest to publish from and
>>leave HEAD as the development code?
>

> One thing which becomes difficult in the presence of dynamic data, is that
> is hard to test Web apps on a different machine without access to the data
> sources (databases etc.). That's why I think providing a separate staging
> area on the same server would be neat.

True.

Ross

Re: Cocoon apps Web site hosting

Posted by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>.
On 8/12/02 1:05 AM, "Ross Gardler" <rg...@wkwyw.net> wrote:

> Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
>> EUR CVS repository. Some developers might already have their own CVS
>> repositories, perhaps at SF, but others may choose to have it hosted here.
>
> I don't think the actual localtion of the CVS is particularly important
> as long as there is a central place to find out about the projects.
> However, a single domain name for the projects presents a feeling of
> coherence to the community as a whole.

As I said, I don't think this is important, especially if we have a common
apps repository hosted at Apache.

>> EUR mailing lists and Web archives for them. Perhaps a better approach is to
>> have common mailing lists for all the applications (separated for users and
>> developer), so we can maintain a closer community. Should we reuse instead
>> Apache's mailing lists?
>
> The more we can stay within the Apache domain the better. The Apache
> name carries a good deal of respect in Industry.

I agree.

>> EUR Web site presence. I think we need to have a combination of static pages
>> with dynamic ones, to show off examples and so on.
>
> It certainly needs to be Cocoon hosted!

One issue I see, as somebody else noted as well, is that different examples
will need possibly different versions of Cocoon. We need to manage this
complexity somehow.

> [...]
>
>> Do they have access to a
>> staging area to test their site, and then publish it?
>
> I would say that the "staging" area is the developers own
> responsability. Once it is in CVS it is considered publishable. Would
> this mean maintaining a permanent branch for development work, keeping
> the main branch for approved bug fixes only? Or possibly the other way
> around, that is have a "release" branch for Forrest to publish from and
> leave HEAD as the development code?

One thing which becomes difficult in the presence of dynamic data, is that
is hard to test Web apps on a different machine without access to the data
sources (databases etc.). That's why I think providing a separate staging
area on the same server would be neat.

>> It would be great if
>> we can get some thoughts on what we need here.
>
> I think the whole question of how and when things are published need to
> be handled by Forrest. Perhaps people more active than I can comment on
> how this would work.

Yes, it looks like Forrest would be the right thing.

>> The last bullet seems to be the biggest item. It would be great if we can
>> come up with some more requirements on what it takes to have Web presence
>> for these applications, and then sketch out an implementation in Cocoon for
>> it.
>
> I would like to know how many people actually have applications that can
> be put into this environment. I for one am making noise about this but
> don;t __have__ anything to put in there yet. I intend to have something
> but that is __very__ different as you all know ;-) So lets also start a
> list of the real, working (even if only alpha) apps we have:
>
> * BringMeThis -
> http://www.superlinksoftware.com/cocoon/samples/bringmethis/ - Andrew C.
> Oliver

I'm also working on a documentation system allowing user feedback. However
this should probably be placed under Forrest when is finished, I'm not sure.

Greetings,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

>I think what we need to come up with is a general structure for the projects
>hosted. What exactly do we want to offer? This is the list I can think of so
>far:
>
>EUR CVS repository. Some developers might already have their own CVS
>repositories, perhaps at SF, but others may choose to have it hosted here.

If given the karma, I am an experienced CVS hacker. (and I think I
remember how to pipe it through ssh,
if not I'm sure It'll come to me)

>EUR mailing lists and Web archives for them. Perhaps a better approach is to
>have common mailing lists for all the applications (separated for users and
>developer), so we can maintain a closer community. Should we reuse instead
>Apache's mailing lists?

I would say at least at first, keep it with Cocoon. The more its
seperated, the more invisible it is.

>EUR Web site presence. I think we need to have a combination of static pages
>with dynamic ones, to show off examples and so on. For the Web site, I think
>we need to maintain a common look and feel, just like Mozilla has for their
>applications. How do people publish their content? Do they have access to a
>staging area to test their site, and then publish it? It would be great if
>we can get some thoughts on what we need here.

For the static ones, that's what Centipede/Forrest are good for (we use
this for POI and I believe its used
for avalon). For dynamic ones, cocoon with a basic XSLT and an XSP page
with a CINCLUDE taking its src
from an XSP request parameter. This will provide the basic
left,top,bottom part and include the content in the
middle. That way we get the *basic* look and feel without bugging the
heck out of people.

This seems to be largely a duplication of what Krysalis.org wants to do,
perhaps moving it to your server, would
provide us with:

1. The consistant look and feel
2. An already springboarded community with Cocoon and Avalon committers
making up a part already.
3. The talents of Nicola Ken to help with the *pretty stuff* that I
can't do as well as increadibly good ideas on how to structure things,
even if he's totally allergic to documenting it. (I think it gives him
hives)

It would give them

1. Something that doesn't crash all the time like sourceforge....

Seems like a match. The only downside would be this might be a
subproject rather than *the thing*, but I bet something could be worked out.

Regardless, I still thing we need a cocoon-apps module *here*. More for
*cocoon-lightweight-example-apps* but thats a bit wordy.

-Andy

Posted by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
How can I help?