Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by ebm <eb...@jah.gov.tw> on 2003/10/31 03:01:37 UTC

Experience in AdminClient for Axis service deployment

Dear Axis new users,
I spent about 1 week in org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient to delpoy an
axis service. Many unpredictable exceptions occurred. I looked for answer
in axis user group but in vain. I tried to deploy it by modifying many
setup and scripts for hundred times. Finally I succeed in this morning. I
am glad to share my experience in deploying the axis services by
AdminClient with those who meet the same problems with me.

Preface

My System includes:
Redhat Linux 9
Tomcat 4.1.27  installed in /usr/local/tomcat
Axis 1.1       installed in /usr/local/tomcat , its webapps/axis was copy
to /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis
Xerces 2.5
j2sdk 1.4.2    installed in /usr/local/jdk

Steps:

1. Follow the installation instruction of
http://ws.apache.org/axis/java/install.html

e.g.My service class is AxisTest.class

public class AxisTest {
    public String test() {
        return "AxisTest.test by Growbal 2003-10-31";
    }
}

my deploy.wsdd:
 <service name="urn:AxisTest" provider="java:RPC">
  <parameter name="className" value="AxisTest"/>
  <parameter name="allowedMethods" value="test"/>
  <parameter name="scope" value="Application"/>
 </service>
</deployment>

2. create a file named deploy.sh   in $AXIS_HOME/WEB-INF/classes/

#!/bin/sh
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk
export CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/tomcat
export AXIS_HOME=$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/axis
export AXIS_LIB=$AXIS_HOME/WEB-INF/lib
export AXISCLASSPATH=$AXIS_LIB/axis.jar:$AXIS_LIB/commons-
discovery.jar:$AXIS_LIB/commons-
logging.jar:$AXIS_LIB/jaxrpc.jar:$AXIS_LIB/saaj.jar:$AXIS_LIB/log4j-
1.2.8.jar:$CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed/xmlParserAPIs.jar:$CATALINA_HOME/
common/endorsed/xercesImpl.jar

echo "AXISCLASSPATH= $AXISCLASSPATH"
$JAVA_HOME/bin/java -cp $AXISCLASSPATH org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient
deploy.wsdd

NOTE1: The most important points are the CLASSPATH setting(AXISCLASSPATH)
and the last java excutable line.  Always add path before the java
excutable to avoid misusing another version of java.
NOTE2: If your tomcat server is located in a non-formal port or server,
specify it by the excutable line:
$JAVA_HOME/bin/java -cp $AXISCLASSPATH
org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient -lhttp://your-server-ip:your-server-
port/axis/services/AdminService deploy.wsdd

3.You will find a file named server-config.wsdd in $AXIS_HOME/WEB-INF/

4.Start your tomcat server by /usr/local/tomcat/bin/startup.sh
5.Test the web service from your web browser:
http://your-server-ip:your-server-port/axis/services/urn:AxisTest
http://your-server-ip:your-server-port/axis/services/urn:AxisTest?
method=test
(My server's IP is 172.32.110.91,  port is 8080)

Growbal Kuo
Taiwan

Re: Experience in AdminClient for Axis service deployment

Posted by Stephen Gordon <st...@student.usyd.edu.au>.
Did you look at the samples which come with Axis??
They help a lot when trying to figure out where you're going wrong

stephen