Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Bri Carey <ca...@hotmail.com> on 2000/04/11 13:34:39 UTC

Publication From Remote XML

Hello.  Still new to Cocoon.

I was wondering: What is the best way to apply a local xsl to a remote ,
non-configurable xml?

As my previous question may indicate, I was planning on using XSP to import
the remote xml into a local xml document, and apply the stylesheet to that
document.

But if there's a better way, I'm all ears.

The URL which generates the remote xml is something like:
http://www.remotehost.com/foobar.cgi?parm1=joe&param2=blow

That will currently return an unformatted xml in the browser window.

I could instead point the URL to a local xml with the identical parameters
and inside the xml document import the xml returned from the above URL.

Is there a better/easier way?

Also, the xml document returned by the remote host does have the processing
instruction at the top: <?xml version="1.0"?>  Can XSP handle that in the
middle of a document?

Re: Publication From Remote XML

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Bri Carey wrote:

> Hello.  Still new to Cocoon.
>
> I was wondering: What is the best way to apply a local xsl to a remote ,
> non-configurable xml?
>
> As my previous question may indicate, I was planning on using XSP to import
> the remote xml into a local xml document, and apply the stylesheet to that
> document.
>
> But if there's a better way, I'm all ears.

The XSLT document() function might be what you want to use. Either that,
or an XInclude processor (I'm not aware of one for DOM though), or an
external entity (syntax sucks but should do what you want).

- donald