Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com> on 2020/08/06 23:13:36 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Preparing for Beam 2.24.0 release

+1 - Thank you Daniel!!

Posted by Daniel Oliveira <da...@google.com>.
I just sent out an update on the RC3 vote thread, and in it I mentioned
some issues I had with the Python RC validation Jenkins target
<https://ci-beam.apache.org/job/beam_PostRelease_Python_Candidate/>. It
seemed appropriate to shunt that rant list of grievances over here instead
of cluttering up the vote thread, since I've been using this thread more
for general progress updates.

Frankly, that Jenkins target is really unwieldy for RC validation. It took
me like 2 days to finally get a useful signal from it for a variety of
reasons, the big one being that the target takes over 4 hours to run from
end to end, and the quickstarts and mobile gaming examples are interspersed
with each other, despite the validation sheet separating them. So if I get
a failure and I try a fix, it takes an extremely long time to actually get
a signal on it. Plus, the whole thing runs sequentially, so if one test
fails, none of the subsequent tests run at all, which makes debugging even
more of a pain.

Finally, the mobile examples are all used with a persistent BQ table on
apache-beam-testing instead of creating and deleting temporary tables. This
means that the examples are used with already populated tables, which
messes with test results (we can't tell if the example failed to write to
the table since it's already populated), and it means that
apache-beam-testing has constantly growing BQ tables hogging up space.

I worked around those issues for this release, but I think this target is a
good candidate to be refactored for future release managers (along with a
bunch of other little pain points I've been writing down). It shouldn't be
too hard to split it into two Jenkins targets, one for the quickstarts and
one for the mobile game examples, to adjust it so that processing continues
even if there's one failure, and to adjust it so that it generates
temporary BQ tables and deletes them once it's done.

I think I can figure those changes out myself, but if anyone has expertise
working with these tests and can find the time to help out (or make
the changes yourself), I would really appreciate it. While I can manage it,
it would probably get done faster and with better quality by someone who's
already familiar with these tests.

Posted by Daniel Oliveira <da...@google.com>.

Posted by Daniel Oliveira <da...@google.com>.
Release branch has been cut