Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Philip Ogren <ph...@ogren.info> on 2011/02/24 04:55:57 UTC

Watson powered by UIMA

This may be of interest to folks on this list even if somewhat off-topic and
probably well-known:

Watson is powered by 10 racks of IBM Power 750 servers running Linux, and
uses 15 terabytes of RAM, 2,880 processor cores and is capable of operating
at 80 teraflops. Watson was written in mostly Java but also significant
chunks of code are written C++ and Prolog, all components are deployed and
integrated using UIMA.

http://blog.reddit.com/2011/02/ibm-watson-research-team-answers-your.html

A nice answer to the question "does UIMA scale?"

Re: Watson powered by UIMA

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I posted a news item re: the ASF announcement, with a link to it, under "News"
on the uima.apache.org site.

A shorter version of the link to this is http://s.apache.org/WJ3

Also, an interesting q & a on Watson is here:
http://blog.reddit.com/2011/02/ibm-watson-research-team-answers-your.html

Cheers. -Marshall

Re: Watson powered by UIMA

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ted

2011/2/24 Ted Pedersen <tp...@d.umn.edu>

> Greetings all,
>
> The following is a rather nice summary that highlights the use of both
> UIMA and Hadoop in Watson.
>

> http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/apache-innovation-bolsters-ibms-smartest-machine-on-earth-in-first-ever-man-vs-machine-competition-on-jeopardy-quiz-show-116151274.html
>
> This also mentions UIMA and Hadoop, and gives some hardware details...
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/21/ibm_watson_qa_system/

Thanks for those pointers Ted.

> But my favorite part is Prolog. :) Dear old rumply lovable Prolog. PROLOG!

LOL :-)

> I looked around the apache UIMA site and didn't see anything specific
> about supporting Prolog though - is that included in the generic UIMA
> or is this some specific IBM add-on?

Prolog support is not included in the Apache UIMA, so I assume it's an IBM
addon.

Cheers,
Tommaso

Re: Watson powered by UIMA

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 10:49 PM, Frank Schilder <
frank.schilder@thomsonreuters.com> wrote:

> This was a couple of years ago and I don¹t remember the exact run time
> exception.
>
> I remember that other people at the time had problems with JPL that is also
> JNI-based based on the web searches I did at that time.
>
> I¹m just wondering what kind of prolog you used and how you called it from
> Java.

For Watson we support several different prologs including SWI, but we had
the most success in terms of speed and stability with SICStus Prolog (using
its jasper JNI interface).  SWI and SICStus support almost exactly the same
set of predicates so it's fairly easy to switch back and forth.

I do recall hitting some memory leak problems with some of the prologs, but
the latest version of SICStus is holding up quite well for us.

 -Adam

Re: Watson powered by UIMA

Posted by Frank Schilder <fr...@thomsonreuters.com>.
This was a couple of years ago and I don¹t remember the exact run time
exception.

I remember that other people at the time had problems with JPL that is also
JNI-based based on the web searches I did at that time.

I¹m just wondering what kind of prolog you used and how you called it from
Java.

Thanks,
Frank

Re: Watson powered by UIMA

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.

Re: Watson powered by UIMA

Posted by Frank Schilder <fr...@thomsonreuters.com>.

Re: Watson powered by UIMA

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.

Re: Watson powered by UIMA

Posted by Ted Pedersen <tp...@d.umn.edu>.
Greetings all,

--
Ted Pedersen
http://www.d.umn.edu/~tpederse

Re: Watson powered by UIMA

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: Watson powered by UIMA

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Philip

that has also been notified on ASF homepage and announces@ ML, see:
https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/apache_innovation_bolsters_ibm_s

> A nice answer to the question "does UIMA scale?"

I agree :-)

Cheers
Tommaso