Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Shi Jinghai <sh...@langhua.org> on 2011/05/02 18:34:08 UTC

Re: Free Market versus Central Planning (was Re: New Icons)

That's great, David. Glad to know we'll have a garden soon.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
It's interesting that you wrote this Ruth. I heard the same thing from a client recently, ie that they hadn't heard my name until after using OFBiz in their company for a couple of years.

After that comment (a couple of weeks ago) I thought about it a bit and in a way I'd like to think this is success on my part in trying to build the community by not emphasizing my role, which was a priority for me for a while... now I guess I don't care so much and I don't know that weakening my role really ever did anything to help grow the community. I always thought it would give others more opportunities to take on major roles in the project, but who knows...

More realistically, I think this is a factor of how the ASF works combined with the long history of OFBiz. The ASF doesn't really allow (and definitely doesn't encourage) prominently recognizing individuals, especially individuals with commercial concerns (I suppose it is more virtuous to use money from students or from grants (ie money taken non-voluntarily from unfortunate "citizens") than the try to operate a commercial concern based on open source or free software). Because of ASF policy you have to look pretty hard to even figure out who the committers and PMC members are, and people who just watch the mailing list or use the software rarely know who is in these groups.

The long history of OFBiz also makes this tricky. Many of those who contributed a lot early on in the build-out of the project (especially over the first 7-8 years, and even more in the first 5-6 years) are not as active on the mailing lists and in commits right now (and over the last couple of years). That's just the nature of the project, and will probably become even more that way over time, especially combined with the ASF policy factor I mentioned above.

On the topic of the ASF, the policies I also find increasingly distasteful. The foundation is growing, which is good, but along with that growth the sheer volume of policies has mushroomed, to the point (IMO) of making it a less interesting means to distribute ones free/open software efforts. It's still a great foundation, but if it isn't as attractive to developers, and the more they add policies that make things difficult or unattractive to developers, how long will that last?

-David

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
How true.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
David:
This is the first time I think I've seen you write something positive
about OFBiz: "I also think OFBiz is great". A step in the right
direction! Thank you for stating that.

I understand completely your motivation and I'm empathetic to your
position. I'm only asking that you don't bash OFBiz at the expense of
any other project. If your latest endeavor is the answer to all your
ills (and OFBiz's), then by all means pursue it with all the passion and
commitment that you have.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
Ruth,

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On 3/05/2011, at 2:26 PM, Ruth Hoffman wrote:

> On 5/2/11 9:23 PM, Scott Gray wrote:
>> On 3/05/2011, at 12:51 PM, Ruth Hoffman wrote:
>>
>>> List:
>>> Why is it that David is allowed to advertise continuously about his latest pet project - that has nothing to do with OFBiz - on this mailing list and others, such as myself can't even mention a resource dedicated entirely to OFBiz, that many have found useful, (MyOFBiz.com http://www.myofbiz.com) without risk of severe rebuke?
>> The only time I think I've rebuked you is when you did nothing to engage the conversation and instead just wrote something along the lines of "you'll find the answer to that question at my website!".  I don't think anyone has an issue with the promotion of relevant websites, companies, projects, etc. but I don't personally think it should ever be the primary purpose of sending a message to these lists.  Moqui isn't just a random pet project anyway, it is a potential replacement for the OFBiz framework created by one of the founders of OFBiz, if that's not worthy of discussion I don't know what would be.
>>
> IMO, it is one thing to talk about replacing the framework. It is quite another to continually harp on what is wrong with OFBiz.
>>> Of course that was a rhetorical question. I know the answer. But I will say this: As an outsider, what I see going on here is seriously wrong...The constant innuendo that there is something amiss with OFBiz undermines the public's faith in the quality and value proposition of this project.
>> That seems pretty hypocritical considering you've spent a fair amount of time in the past criticizing the most active members of the community and spreading FUD about the way this project is managed.  But at the end of the day there is something wrong and ignoring that will achieve nothing, this is the dev list and is the most appropriate place to discuss these development related issues.
>
> Really? What, in your esteemed opinion is wrong? With OFBiz that is. And not me. (I already know that latter.)

Providing an answer to that would require more time than I willing to give you and I've already spent enough time articulating my concerns over the past year so I'm not going to do that again now. You've obviously read plenty of criticism or you wouldn't have written this message so just know that I share most if not all of David's concerns.

>>> Despite all the differences of all the OFBiz community members, OFBiz still remains the best open source - possibly any source - ERP around. Lets not forget that.
>>>
>>> Although I have no authority to request this I'm asking that David please stop using this list as his "dumping" ground. David, if you do not have positive OFBiz commentary, please don't post.
>> Nobody has any authority here other than the respect one gains through what the ASF calls a "meritorcracy" (government by merit), and there really can't be any doubt that David has well and truly earned the right to say whatever he damn well pleases (in my opinion).  David's spent more time interacting with this community than anyone else and if he's learnt something from that then I for one want to hear it.
>>
> Well, if your aim is to destroy OFBiz in favor of Moqui or any other "the grass is always greener" solution, then by all means bash away and encourage David and everyone to join the fray.

This is what I mean by your tendency to spread FUD, no one is trying to destroy OFBiz and the reality is quite the opposite.

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On 3/05/2011, at 1:48 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> I agree with Scott, but at the same time I agree with Ruth a little.

> David started off promoting Moqui by bashing on the OFBiz developer community and the product.

But to be fair, he was doing that before he got Moqui under way as well and that discontent is possibly (probably?) what drove him to create Moqui rather than being criticism for marketing purposes.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
I agree with Scott, but at the same time I agree with Ruth a little.
David started off promoting Moqui by bashing on the OFBiz developer
community and the product. But he's toned that down now, so I think a

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
List:
Why is it that David is allowed to advertise continuously about his
latest pet project - that has nothing to do with OFBiz - on this mailing
list and others, such as myself can't even mention a resource dedicated
entirely to OFBiz, that many have found useful, (MyOFBiz.com
http://www.myofbiz.com) without risk of severe rebuke?

Of course that was a rhetorical question. I know the answer. But I will
say this: As an outsider, what I see going on here is seriously
wrong...The constant innuendo that there is something amiss with OFBiz
undermines the public's faith in the quality and value proposition of
this project. Despite all the differences of all the OFBiz community

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.