Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> on 2014/09/19 06:40:27 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Silk as new Incubator project

I would like to propose Silk as an Apache Incubator project. The new
proposal is added to https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SilkProposal and
is duplicated below.

  Cos

= Silk Apache Incubator Proposal =

== Abstract ==

Apache Silk will be a unified In-Memory Data Fabric providing high-performance,
distributed in-memory data management software layer between various data
sources and user applications.

== Proposal ==

Apache Silk is written mostly in Java and Scala with small amount of C++ code
and will initially combine the following technologies under one unified
umbrella:
 * In-Memory Data Grid
 * In-Memory Compute Grid
 * In-Memory Streaming Processing
This unified in-memory fabric will provide high-performance, distributed
in-memory software layer that sits in between various data sources and user
applica tions. Data sources can include SQL RDBMS, NoSQL, or HDFS. Applications
APIs will be available for Java (and Java-based scripting languages), Scala,
C++ and .NET (C#).

GridGain Systems, Inc. submits this proposal to donate its Apache 2.0-licensed
open source project generally known as “GridGain In-Memory Computing Platform”,
its source code, documentation, and websites to the Apache Software Foundation
(“ASF”) with the goal of extending the vibrant open source community around
this technology ultimately governed by “Apache Way”.  Proposed Naming

We have been advised by the ASF mentors that the name “Silk” may not be ideal
because the name may be too generic and may not pass ASF legal check. Here are
the alternatives that we have come up with and any of those will be acceptable
for the project pending the ASF legal green light:
 * Apache Silk (preferable name)
 * Apache Sylk
 * Apache Memstor
 * Apache Ignite

== Background & Rationale ==

In-Memory Data Fabric is a natural and evolutionary consolidation of various
“in-memory technologies” from the last decade. From simple local caching
(JSR-107), to distributed caching, to data grids and databases, to streaming
and plug-n-play acceleration - the in-memory space has grown quite
dramatically.

With rapid advances in NVRAM and significant price reduction of traditional
DRAM on one hand, and growing sophistication and demand for faster data
processing on another - many users of these silo-ed technologies and products
started to look for a “strategic approach” to in-memory - an in-memory data
fabric - that would provide suitable APIs for different types of payloads: from
data caching, to data grids, to in-memory SQL data stores, to HPC, to streaming
processing.

With expensive and proprietary in-memory computing products from companies like
Oracle, SAP, Microsoft, and IBM -  the developers worldwide need an unhindered
access to advanced open source in-memory software technology, the technology
they can trust to develop with and deploy for critical applications.  Current
Status

Apache Silk will be based on the technology that is currently developed by
GridGain Systems and available under Apache 2.0 license
(http://www.gridgain.org). The software has been in development since 2007 and
in production since 2009. It is currently used by over 500 production
deployments with over 1,000,000 downloads to date, and with over 20,000,000
GridGain nodes started in the last 5 years.

== Initial Goals ==

The number one goal during ASF incubation will coalesce around building a true
active and vibrant community governed by the “Apache Way”. The initial
development goals for Silk primarily revolve around migrating the existing code
base, documentation, and refactoring of the existing internal build, test &
release processes. We believe these initial goals are sufficiently difficult to
be considered early milestones.

Some of the specific initial goals include:
 * Migrate the existing Silk code base to the ASF.
 * Refactor development, testing, build and release processes to work in ASF.
 * Attract developer and user interest in the new Apache Silk project.
 * Road map the integration efforts with “sister” projects in ASF eco-system like Storm and Spark.
 * Incorporate externally developed features into the core Apache Silk project.

== Known Risks ==

This proposal is not without its risks, some of which are outlined below.

The current list of committers are primarily from GridGain Systems. One of the
key purposes of proposing Silk for incubation is to attract new committers and
spur the adoption of Silk. The ASF has a well-deserved reputation of fostering
and building open source communities, which makes it the ideal location to
attempt this community bootstrap.

Most of the initial committers are supported by their employers to work on
Silk, and may be assigned to work on other priorities. However, the employers
of these salaried individuals - GridGain Systems or current customers and users
- have a vested interest in seeing Silk thrive as a long-term, growing project.

GridGain Systems understands that their employees are acting as individuals
when contributing to Apache projects. As a major initial contributor GridGain
Systems is prepared to bring additional staff on board to assist with Silk
development to ensure its active growth.

One of the key motivators in creating the Silk project as part of the Incubator
is to leverage the vendor-neutral nature of the ASF. The ASF has a strong and
recognized brand as being a leader in open source, and by hosting Silk at the
ASF, we hope to attract developers to build a viable community for the project.

== Meritocracy ==

Apache Silk plans to adopt the policy that encourages an environment that
supports a meritocracy. We intend to actively ask the community  for help,
listing/specifying the work that needs to be done, and  keeping track of and
encouraging members of the community who make any contributions.  Community &
Core Developers

GridGain project has been actively building community of users in the last
couple of years with an active StackOverflow group, support groups, and Meetups
(http://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-In-Memory-Computing). This group includes
active members of Apache community as well. We strongly believe that this
community will grow and develop substantially as part of Apache family and
that’s our commitment.

== Existing Documentation ==

Current documentation for GridGain project can be found here:
http://www.gridgain.org/documentation/ We intend to migrate it into ASF
podling.

== Initial Source ==

Initial Apache 2.0 licensed source code can be found here: http://www.gridgain.org/download/

== External Dependencies ==

Here’s the list of 3rd party JAR-only dependencies:
 * Apache Hadoop
 * Apache Commons
 * H2
 * JTS
 * Apache Lucene
 * Spring

Here’s the list of the all licenses for 3rd party libraries currently used:
 * Apache 2.0

== Required Resources ==

=== Mailing lists ===
 * silk-private (with moderated subscriptions)
 * silk-dev
 * silk-user

=== Git & JIRA ===
 * Git: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-silk.git
 * JIRA: JIRA Silk (SILK)

== Initial Committers & Affiliation ==
 * Dmitriy Setrakyan (GridGain Systems, dsetrakyan at gridgain dot com)
 * Yakov Zhdanov (GridGain Systems, yzhdanov at gridgain dot com)
 * Alexey Goncharuk (GridGain Systems, agoncharuk at gridgain dot com)
 * Sergey Vladykin (GridGain Systems, svladykin at gridgain dot com)
 * Valentin Kulichenko (GridGain Systems, vkulichenko at gridgain dot com)
 * Semen Boikov (GridGain Systems, sboikov at gridgain dot com)
 * Vladimir Ozerov (GridGain Systems, vozerov at gridgain dot com)
 * Nikita Ivanov (GridGain Systems, nivanov30 at gmail dot com)
 * Sergey Khisamov (FitechSource, skh at gmail dot com)
 * Ilya Sterin (ChronoTrack, isterin at gmail dot com)
 * Ryan Rawson (WANdisco, rawson at apache dot org)
 * Konstantin Boudnik (cos at apache dot org)
 * Roman Shaposhnik (rvs at apache dot org)

== Sponsors ==

=== Apache Champion ===
 * Konstantin Boudnik (cos at apache dot org)

=== Nominated Mentors ===
 * Michael Stack (stack at apache dot org)

Re: [PROPOSAL] Silk as new Incubator project

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
I was thinking along the lines of having commits going to the dev@
list and when the traffic becomes heavier to open the commits@, but
your approach might be better. I will update the proposal accordingly.
Thanks!
--
  Take care,
Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author,
and do not necessarily represent the views of any company the author
might be affiliated with at the moment of writing.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Cos,

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> It seems like an implementation detail to me, but do you think this needs to be added into the proposal?

No, thanks for the clarification.

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 9:26 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> as far as I know Ignite has a component that works with Hadoop (HDFS) as a
> storage layer and that's pretty much all I could say about the declared
> dependency. Ignite doesn't require Hadoop to deliver any functionality, it
> doesn't provide any additions to Hadoop - HDFS is just yet another file
> system. Now, because Ignite is an In-Memory Data Fabric I am sure it does
> decent amount of caching to reduce IO overhead.
>
> It seems like an implementation detail to me, but do you think this needs to
> be added into the proposal?
>
> Thanks!
>   Cos
>
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 08:34AM, Andrew Purtell wrote:

>> > The proposal will be updated shortly with these details.
>>
>> I browsed GridGain's website briefly, perhaps there could also be a
>> bit of detail in the proposal how it relates to the Apache Hadoop
>> project?

>> > Good point, Henry! Would you consider investing a few cycles on your own and
>> > join the mentors for this proposal? Thanks in advance!
>>
>> If you need more mentors, I'd be happy to volunteer.
>>

>> > Cos

>> --
>> Best regards,
>>
>>    - Andy
>>
>> Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. - Piet
>> Hein (via Tom White)

Best regards,

   - Andy

Hein (via Tom White)

Re: [PROPOSAL] Silk as new Incubator project

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Thanks Henry - great to have you!

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
<orcnote> below

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Christian Grobmeier
> <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not saying anything on the proposal itself, I would be concerned because
> > of the name Silk.
> > There is this:
> > http://lucidworks.com/product/integrations/silk/
> > which is related to Apache Solr and Lucene and also gets some attention.
> > While it may not solve the same thing, I wouldn't use the name Silk at
> > least because
> > it somehow works with other Apache products. It could lead to confusion.
> >
> > If the podling is accepted, I suggest to consider this before resources
> > are created
>
> Yup. Hence the following set of potential names:

> It would be very useful if we can get feedback on
> the most/least pref. ones from that list.

Memstor is a trademark in the US:

http://www.kingleetech.com/membrane-chemicals/additional-products/membrane-storage-products/memstor

I'd actually wondered about Membrain, but that's a different chemical
product.

Sylk is an adult product whose URL I'm not visiting at the office.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not saying anything on the proposal itself, I would be concerned because
> of the name Silk.
> There is this:
> http://lucidworks.com/product/integrations/silk/
> which is related to Apache Solr and Lucene and also gets some attention.
> While it may not solve the same thing, I wouldn't use the name Silk at
> least because
> it somehow works with other Apache products. It could lead to confusion.
>
> If the podling is accepted, I suggest to consider this before resources
> are created

Yup. Hence the following set of potential names:

>> >  * Apache Silk (preferable name)
>> >  * Apache Sylk
>> >  * Apache Memstor
>> >  * Apache Ignite

It would be very useful if we can get feedback on
the most/least pref. ones from that list.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Silk as new Incubator project

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

  grobmeier@gmail.com

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Cos,

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
I have addressed sebb's note on the user list and removed it from the resource
section. Also, the proposal was renamed to Ignite and new page is available
under
  https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/IgniteProposal

Thanks for the input everyone,
  Cos

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 27.09.2014 05:38, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> Hi David.
>
> I believe it will be needing a usual place to publish releases

Release tarballs go here before the release vote starts:

    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ignite

After the vote passes, they should be moved here:

    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/ignite

Feel free to create the "ignite" directories as necessary.

Note that .../release/... is distributed to mirrors; over at Subversion,
we wait 24 hours between moving release bits to .../release/... and
announcing the release, to make sure that all mirrors have caught up.
Only the latest reelase should be there, any older versions must be
deleted. They should have been automagically moved to

    http://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/ignite

fairly soon after they appear on dist.apache.org; if they don't, nudge
Infra.

-- Brane

Re: [PROPOSAL] Silk as new Incubator project

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Hi David.

I believe it will be needing a usual place to publish releases and perhaps
some CI time-share on builds.apache.org, but I am sure the latter could be
addressed by using different resources if it seems to be an issue.

Regards,
  Cos

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
The user mailing list is not normally used for podlings.
Only the developer and private lists are needed.