Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by James Pifer <je...@obrien-pifer.com> on 2005/01/19 16:49:24 UTC

[users@httpd] disabling Trace

Sorry for the repeat topic, but I've searched the archive and google and
found a lot of stuff on the issue of Trace with Apache. Early 2004 it
seemed like most people with knowledge of Apache thought it was a lot
about nothing and that having it enabled was not a big deal, even more
of a browser issue.

Well, I have a web server that got hit by an audit and besides updating
Apache to 2.0.52, they "suggested" disabling the Trace methods. We don't
use it, and since it's been "suggested" I just want to do it and be
done. I've tried doing what they say, as well as what Nessus says to do,
but then Apache2 will not start.

I added the Rewrite commands in the VirtualHost sections.
<VirtualHost *:80>
     ServerAdmin admin@packagingcorp.com
     DocumentRoot "E:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs"
     ServerName www.packagingcorp.com
     ErrorLog logs/www.packagingcorp.com-error_log
     CustomLog logs/www.packagingcorp.com-access_log common
	RewriteEngine on
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^(TRACE|TRACK)
	RewriteRule .* - [F]
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:80>
     ServerAdmin admin@packagingcorp.com
     DocumentRoot "E:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/tref"
     ServerName tref.packagingcorp.com
     ErrorLog logs/tref.packagingcorp.com-error_log
     CustomLog logs/tref.packagingcorp.com-access_log common
	RewriteEngine on
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^(TRACE|TRACK)
	RewriteRule .* - [F]
</VirtualHost>

Also, I saw some people say don't trust nessus and manually check to see
if trace is running, but I have yet to find an explanation of how to do
it. I know to telnet to the web server, but after that I don't know.

Thanks,
James

Re: [users@httpd] disabling Trace

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.