Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jeffrey Randow <jr...@remotenetworktechnology.com> on 2005/08/04 20:36:40 UTC

Ignore Resent Headers?

Is there a way to tell SpamAssassin to ignore the Resent headers when
doing a whitelist check?  I tried searching and couldn't find any
resolution to this.

I currently have one email account that basically forwards all emails
recieved to my main email account that has SpamAssassin enabled.  However,
since the other host adds the Resent-To and Resent-From headers, it is
blocking me from whitelisting the addresses that originally sent me the
mail.  My current solution is to write regular expressions for each user
and scoring it -100, but this is not an ideal solution.  My only other
option is to use something like fetchmail, but this is a kludge at best.

--
Jeffrey Randow
jrandow@remotenetworktechnology.com

Re: Ignore Resent Headers?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Jeffrey Randow wrote:
> Is there a way to tell SpamAssassin to ignore the Resent headers when
> doing a whitelist check?  I tried searching and couldn't find any
> resolution to this.
>
> I currently have one email account that basically forwards all emails
> recieved to my main email account that has SpamAssassin enabled.  However,
> since the other host adds the Resent-To and Resent-From headers, it is
> blocking me from whitelisting the addresses that originally sent me the
> mail.  My current solution is to write regular expressions for each user
> and scoring it -100, but this is not an ideal solution.  My only other
> option is to use something like fetchmail, but this is a kludge at best.

SA intentionally not only pays attention to Resent headers, but if they are
present it will IGNORE any other header of the same class. (ie: it will
completely ignore To: if Resent-To: exists).

This is a very intentional behavior, and you'd have to hack the code for
all_from_addrs() and all_to_addrs() to change it.

In most situations, you want to pay attention to the resent, as that also
applies to messages that are redirected, such as spam reports, etc.