Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Will Nordmeyer <wi...@willspc.net> on 2007/01/08 12:01:22 UTC

Spamassassin & Mailing List systems

I'm running SpamAssassin on a CentOS/BlueQuartz system.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to incorporate spamassassin into the
included majordomo 1.94.x system?  Idiots spam "majordomo owner" and/or a
few of the majordomo lists.  which results in me (as admin) getting bounce
messages when Majordomo responds to such posts with the don't recognize
command response.

I also am tired of getting the BOUNCE notifications when someone's email to
the list is bounced because they aren't a member of the list.

Similarly, any suggestions on how to incorporate it into a Mailman 2.1.9
system would be appreciated.

--Will

RE: Spamassassin & Mailing List systems

Posted by Will Nordmeyer <wi...@willspc.net>.

Unfortunately, I don't run postfix... thanks!

> I am using the techniques described there and it really does help
> reduce the backscatter spam.
>
> > I also am tired of getting the BOUNCE notifications when someone's
> > email to the list is bounced because they aren't a member of the list.
>
> Is that really a bounce?
Yep - We don't accept anything from non-members... so it goes straight into
the garbage... but with a notification to me.

I found a reference to stop the majordomo-owner spams here:
http://bluequartz.org/ml/archive/coba-e/7900/7912.html

(I have a bluequartz box as well as a Cobalt RAQ).

But I haven't found ways to put spamassassin into the stream
(sendmail/procmail) PRIOR TO majordomo & mailman so that the lists stay
clean.

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Will Nordmeyer wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to incorporate spamassassin into the
> included majordomo 1.94.x system?  Idiots spam "majordomo owner" and/or a
> few of the majordomo lists.  which results in me (as admin) getting bounce
> messages when Majordomo responds to such posts with the don't recognize
> command response.

You might look over this reference.

  http://www.postfix.org/BACKSCATTER_README.html

I am using the techniques described there and it really does help
reduce the backscatter spam.

> I also am tired of getting the BOUNCE notifications when someone's email to
> the list is bounced because they aren't a member of the list.

Is that really a bounce?  Or is it really a moderator approval
required message because you are listed as the list moderator and you
have the action set for non-subscribers to be "hold"?

Bob