Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Karim Zaki <Ka...@itworx.com> on 2008/04/01 17:37:18 UTC

Tomcat performance over VMWare

Hi all,

I'm experiencing poor performance with Tomcat 5.0.28 running on a Windows 2000 Server VM (Windows Server 2003 R2 host, VMWare Server 1.0.4). Tomcat takes up around 50% of the CPU and the "System" process takes up the other 50% when making requests that return relatively quickly on a physical server. The VM has 2.5GB of RAM assigned to it, and the host is a quad processor machine.

Is anyone familiar with any known performance issues with Tomcat on VMWare? Any recommendations?

Regards,
Karim

"Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away."

RE: Tomcat performance over VMWare

Posted by Karim Zaki <Ka...@itworx.com>.
Hi Gabe,

I allocated 2 processors to the VM.

Regards,
Karim

Re: Tomcat performance over VMWare

Posted by Gabe Wong <ga...@ngasi.com>.
Karim Zaki wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm experiencing poor performance with Tomcat 5.0.28 running on a Windows 2000 Server VM (Windows Server 2003 R2 host, VMWare Server 1.0.4). Tomcat takes up around 50% of the CPU and the "System" process takes up the other 50% when making requests that return relatively quickly on a physical server. The VM has 2.5GB of RAM assigned to it, and the host is a quad processor machine.
>
> Is anyone familiar with any known performance issues with Tomcat on VMWare? Any recommendations?
>
> Regards,
> Karim

Karim,

How many processors were allocated to the VM (VMWare)?

--
Regards

Gabe Wong
NGASI AppServer Manager
JAVA AUTOMATION and SaaS Enablement
http://www.ngasi.com
NEW! 8.0 - Centrally manage multiple physical servers

Set Tomcat logging timezone - switching summer time (daylight saving) automatically

Posted by Albert Yu <al...@selatra.com>.

I found that if you add

-Duser.timezone=Europe/London

into JAVA_OPTS in catalina.sh, all tomcat logging will use BST at summer
time, but

-Duser.timezone=BST

does NOT work.

Hope this is useful for somebody.