Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by pinoyskull <pi...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/21 10:33:02 UTC

fuzzyocr slowing up my server

I've been using fuzzyocr plugin for some time now and I think I noticed
is its high cpu/memory usage resulting on delayed delivery of mails. The
server is serving 2000+ clients.

The server is a P4 2.6Ghz, 1GB memory running on FreeBSD 6.0. Should i
upgrade the memory to 2GB or 4GB? Will it fix the problem?

I need your input guys. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Re: fuzzyocr slowing up my server

Posted by pinoyskull <pi...@gmail.com>.
decoder wrote:

> pinoyskull wrote:
>> decoder wrote:

>> You need to give more details about the version of FuzzyOcr and the
>>  configuration. There are plenty of ways to lower the resource
>> usage of FuzzyOcr effectively.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>

>> Chris
>>
>>> Hi Chris,
>>> Im using the the Spamassassin 3.17 and FuzzyOCR version 2.3b, I
>>> just edited the log location and the helper programs, the rest
>>> are all defaults
> First of all, the FuzzyOcr version is quite old, I recommend 3.4.x,
> but most things I tell you now also work with 2.3b.
>
> a) Try to use ocrad instead of gocr. Ocrad is known to be less
> resource intensive. In 2.3b, you need to write your own ocrad
> scansets, 3.4.2 includes examples/support for ocrad already
> b) Use hashing, it decreases the amount of OCR scans actually done
> (use the MLDBM database stuff)
> c) Set the autodisable score setting to 5 (or whatever is enough at
> your place to count as spam) to minimize the amount of mails scanned
>
> I am aware of the resource problem and 3.5 includes lots of
> enhancements which decrease used resources even more, but currently
> only 3.5rc1 is available. It is still being tested by me and others
> (but performs stable at the moment with all patchsets applied). If you
> want, you can have a look at it as well (available at our download
> page) :)
>
> Best regards,
>

> Chris

Right now I removed FuzzyOCR and wait for the new stable version and Ill
take note of the tips that you've said. Thanks again.

Re: fuzzyocr slowing up my server

Posted by decoder <de...@own-hero.net>.

Posted by pinoyskull <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by decoder <de...@own-hero.net>.

Re: fuzzyocr slowing up my server

Posted by pinoyskull <pi...@gmail.com>.
Sander Holthaus wrote:

there are whitelists as per clients request, other than than all mails
are being scanned