Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Joerg Hessdoerfer <Jo...@sea-gmbh.com> on 2004/03/29 08:38:07 UTC

WIN32 1.0.1 Broken - WAS: WIN32 1.0.1 Version - iconv? issues

[...]
> > I just downgraded to 0.37.0 installer client on the very same machine -
> > no more errors!
>
> Hmm... that doesn't sound good. If the 1.0.1 Win32 binaries are somewhat
> broken, shouldn't they be removed from the download area?
>
> Michael

Yep, so it seems. But maybe I'm just plain ignorant of the way the code
translation works. For example, when using my laptop and do a
'svn  ls http://freya/Projects/4D/WeldWatcher/trunk/CustomControls'

I get:

ArrowDown.ctl
ArrowUp.ctl
Cancel.ctl
svn: Can't recode string
joe@joelap:~$

OK, so I do 'export LANG=german', and:

joe@joelap:~$ svn ls http://freya/Projects/4D/WeldWatcher/trunk/CustomControls
ArrowDown.ctl
ArrowUp.ctl
Cancel.ctl
DateiÖffnen.ctl
.
[more filenames deleted]
.
zurück.ctl

joe@joelap:~$

But I have no idea how to specify the locale in WIN32, no matter what I do I
always get:

C:\>svn ls http://freya/Projects/4D/WeldWatcher/trunk/CustomControls
ArrowDown.ctl
ArrowUp.ctl
Cancel.ctl
svn: Safe data:
"Datei"
... was followed by non-ascii byte 195.

Non-ascii character detected (see above), and unable to convert to/from UTF-8

C:\>

With 0.37.0, it works, though.

Please, can someone 'in the know' comment on this? For me, the 1.0.1 win32
distrib on the web site is broken!

Greetings,
	Joerg
--
Leading SW developer  - S.E.A GmbH
Mail: joerg.hessdoerfer@sea-gmbh.com

Re: WIN32 1.0.1 Broken - WAS: WIN32 1.0.1 Version - iconv? issues

Posted by Joerg Hessdoerfer <Jo...@sea-gmbh.com>.
Hi,

[...]
> > Again, with 0.37.0 everything looks fine, same machine.
>
> I agree that this is serious, but is it only you and me who has been
> bitten by this? If so, then it's not so strange that the binaries are
> still on the site.
>
> Jostein

Well, strange that we should be the only ones affected. I just installed
0.37.0, 1.0.0, 1.0.1 on three machines, with exactly the same results:
0.37.0, 1.0.0 - working
1.0.1 'Non-ascii character...'

The machines are:
WinNT 4, SP6 + hotfixes
Win2K, SP4 + hotfixes
WinXP Professional SP1 + hotfixes

This seems pretty general, though. All of the machines were having SVN
installed before, version 0.37.0. After downgrading again to 0.37.0
everything again works fine.

So, I'd really like to know the differences in the build process from 1.0.0 to
1.0.1.

I did not manage to build SVN myself yet, not under VC.NET and VC6. I'll keep
trying, though :-/.

Greetings,
	Joerg

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Monday 29 March 2004 11.48, Joerg Hessdoerfer wrote:
> I *bangs head on desk* forgot to mention that was under Linux, just as
> an example how I expect things to work.

I'm banging to :-) I did not read your (whole) posting good enought
before replying (it should not be very difficult to figure out that your
Laptop was using a Unix variant).

http://www.josander.net/kontakt/ ||
http://www.josander.net/en/contact/

Re: WIN32 1.0.1 Broken - WAS: WIN32 1.0.1 Version - iconv? issues

Posted by Joerg Hessdoerfer <Jo...@sea-gmbh.com>.
On Monday 29 March 2004 11:11, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> On Monday 29 March 2004 10.38, Joerg Hessdoerfer wrote:
>
> > OK, so I do 'export LANG=german', and:
>
> I'm not sure if it means anything, but you are using Cygwin? 'export
> LANG=german' is _not_ a "Windows way" of doing thing.
>
> Jostein

I *bangs head on desk* forgot to mention that was under Linux, just as an
example how I expect things to work.

Under Win32 / SVN 1.0.1 I always get:

C:\>svn ls http://freya/Projects/4D/WeldWatcher/trunk/CustomControls
ArrowDown.ctl
ArrowUp.ctl
Cancel.ctl
svn: Safe data:
"Datei"
... was followed by non-ascii byte 195.

Non-ascii character detected (see above), and unable to convert to/from UTF-8

C:\>

Again, with 0.37.0 everything looks fine, same machine.
Side note: could it be that 1.0.1 just can't load the iconv .so's? I get the
same error message when APR_ICONV_PATH is bogus with 0.37.0.

Greetings,
	Joerg

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.