Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Nils O. Selåsdal" <no...@frisurf.no> on 2001/07/21 00:04:17 UTC

Run tomcat as root ?

Currently we are running Tomcat as root on a  linux machine , are there any
know security risks by doing so? SHould i rather run tomcat as another,
restricted user ?

--
Nils O. Selåsdal

Re: Run tomcat as root ?

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.
I'm not sure about any specific risks, but I wouldn't run _anything_ as
root on any unix based system.  Tomcat doesn't need to bind to ports under
1024 which is the only reason I can think that you would want to run as
root.

cheers
dim

Re: Run tomcat as root ?

Posted by Tim O'Neil <ti...@xythos.com>.
At 03:04 PM 7/20/2001, you wrote:
>Currently we are running Tomcat as root on a  linux machine , are there any
>know security risks by doing so? SHould i rather run tomcat as another,
>restricted user ?

If you want to run tomcat on a port below 1024 you
have no choice.