Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by OS <os...@portfoolio.com> on 2008/02/18 05:18:33 UTC

feature request: svn revision alias

Hi all,

Like probably a great many users out there, I'm very happy with svn --
thanks for a great product!

But the tag-via-copy mechanism continues to confuse my users, in
particular new ones.
They keep pointing out how different this is from other systems (they do
love the branch-via-copy though).

A particularly stubborn fellow has actually forced us to implement a
different mechanism for his project
where we keep a separate file that links svn revisions to symbolic
names. (Fortunately, he was happy
with just that)

And that made me think whether it would be difficult to implement that
in svn natively.

The svn revision is pretty much equivalent to what a tag is in other
systems.
But it's a numeric value, hard to remember, etc -- and people wish to
give tags descriptive names.

Wouldn't this be useful:

Then one would be able to use <rev> and <name> interchangeably in other
svn operations.
Call it the poor man's svn tag! :)

I don't know... But it appears simple enough to implement (please excuse
my ignorance), and I think
many people out there would love this feature. (At least judging by my
pesky users!)

Thanks!

Re: feature request: svn revision alias

Posted by OS <os...@portfoolio.com>.
Yes -- once again, others seem better at explaining my use cases :)

>It would be up to the user to know which directory tree that the alias applies to.  Kind of like how svnmerge.py requires that you know which top level dir contains the merge properties.  =)
>
>The benefit would be in being able to:
>	svn co -r REL.1.0.0 svn://url/trunk
>	svn log -r REL.2.1.3 svn://url/trunk
>	svn co -r LOGGING_1.0.0 svn://url/logging/trunk@LOGGING_1.0.0  (Peg revision)
>
>My inner ClearCase junkie is starting to see some usefulness in 'svn alias' as a way to do an in-place tag.

That's why I called it the poor man's tag :)

(And sorry about the msg format -- I use plain vanilla Thunderbird)

Cheers.

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <jr...@ATT.COM>.

Posted by "Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)" <Da...@thehartford.com>.

Alright, then tell me how a new user of the system knows by looking at
an Alias, without external documentation or coaching, that
"V3.14-baselevel3" is only relevant to
"/Proj1/branches/customer1_billing_system"?  If you attach a path to the
Alias, you now have a one to many relationship with revision number,
which changes the enitre premise of the request.

I submit that although it would be silly - as you say - to associate
"Subversion 1.91-RC2" with GCC, that there is no way other than external
business knowledge or savvy cognitive skills to make that determination,
and worse, this depends on the alias creator having a flawless ability
to name revisions in such a way as to preclude any confusion, ever
(assuming the intention is to allow new users to view the repository
without special coaching).

Further, I believe it also leaves out the reality that "Subversion" may
have more than one active codeline.  Does "Subversion 1.91-RC2" refer to
"trunk" "branches/experimental", "branches/svn_ver1",
"branches/svn_ver1.5", etc.?  I would obverve that structure and
conclude it is either "trunk" or "branches/experimental", possibly
"branches/svn_ver1.5" because it is the closest revision number to the
alias.  I could be wrong on all guesses, depending upon the intention of
the person who set the alias.

I'm simply saying that such a feature leaves much up to interpretation
by individual teams and is information that cannot be difinitive, clear,
and concise just by looking at the repository.

--
David

destroy all copies.

RE: feature request: svn revision alias

Posted by Paul Koning <Pa...@dell.com>.

Posted by "Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)" <Da...@thehartford.com>.

Okay, that is what I thought.  The problem that I (personally) see with
that is there is an implicit assumption that a single repository will
only contain directly related projects, that have no branching, or it
assumes a particular path is implicitly assocated with the alias, which
is what Tags do coupled with its revision number.

--
David

destroy all copies.

RE: feature request: svn revision alias

Posted by Paul Koning <Pa...@dell.com>.

Posted by "Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)" <Da...@thehartford.com>.

________________________________

Posted by OS <os...@portfoolio.com>.
I did (in fact, Paul Koning did):

RE: Re: feature request: svn revision alias

Posted by OS <os...@portfoolio.com>.

Posted by OS <os...@portfoolio.com>.
Yes:

>I don't think of a tag that way.  Instead, I view it as a name for a
>point in the history of my code.
>
>So one day I may say "I'd like to see the code for "ls" as it was in
>the baselevel tagged "V3.14_baselevel3" and another day I may go
>looking for the code of another piece with that same tag.
>
>To do that, I'd ask Subversion for the subtree in question as it was
>in that rev.  Right now I'd use a numeric rev; with aliases I could
>use a named rev.

Look, svn-people, all I was suggesting was a practical, simple (I
thought) solution to a
common, simple problem. It's something that all other SCMs offer and it
would appease
many people used to that type of procedure (I think).

As far I can see, all the machinery is already there. The only thing
missing is the symbolic name.

Don't even call it tagging. svn promotes tag-via-copy, fine. Call it
revision naming or aliasing,
whatever. And let the users use it as they see fit. Or not. It would be
an option that wouldn't
bother anyone not using it.

Peace :)

Posted by Paul Koning <Pa...@dell.com>.

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <jr...@ATT.COM>.

That's my point.  The revision number applies to the WHOLE repository.
The Humans use tags to baseline a SUBSET of the repository.  A revision
number by itself is useless for that purpose.

> So the proposal certainly is logically valid.

The OP's proposal is:
	The svn revision is pretty much equivalent to what a tag is in
other systems.

In any system, a tag is a subset of a repository, normally used to
create a baseline.  (That's the definition I'm working under.)  The
alias is a single rev.  A single rev is useless for marking subsets of
repositories.[1]  Therefore, 'svn alias' is useless as a substitute for
tags and thus useless for creating baselines, and thus useless to the
OP's stated purpose.[2]

> And I could see some
> uses for it -- some of the things done with tags are more conveniently
> done by rev aliases than by lightweight copy (though they can be made
> to work either way.  For example, we tag the most recent rev in the
> version Xyz development stream for which the nightly build procedure
> ran without errors.  In CVS (and presumably with the alias scheme)
> that's just a tag operation.  In Subversion, it requires deleting the
> old tag, then making a new one.  For various reasons, that isn't as
> good a solution (though it is good enough to get the job done).

In this case, the tag is applied to a whole mess of files, normally an
entire subtree.  Aliasing a single SVN revision would only 'tag' the few
files in the revision.  'svn copy ... /tags/...' will "tag" many
revisions.

The proposed 'svn alias <rev> <name>' would create another HEAD, PREV,
etc. type label.  If I told you I want the HEAD, what code would you
give me?  You would give me the three or four files that were checked in
last, instead of the thousands of files in the rel.1.0.0 baseline.

Also, 'svn alias <rev> <name>' is very similar to SVN properties.  Would
you rather use 'svn copy' or 'svn propset' to create a baseline/tag in
SVN?

Also^2, in other systems, you can tag a single file.  How would 'svn
alias <rev> <name>' work on a single file when revisions contain several
files?

A useful 'svn alias' command would have to be something like:
	svn alias -r REV <alias> <svn:url | svn_path>
which is essentially the same thing as a 'svn copy' tag or a 'svn
propset' tag.

[1] Yes, a rev is a very, very, very, very small subset of a repository.
But how often do you tag/baseline using a single revision?

[2] Unless I've completely missed the point despite re-reading the OP's
email a few times.  =/

RE: feature request: svn revision alias

Posted by Paul Koning <Pa...@dell.com>.

 >> Wouldn't this be useful: svn alias <rev> <name> (or svn revalias
 >> <rev> <name>)
 >>
 >> Then one would be able to use <rev> and <name> interchangeably in
 >> other
 >> svn operations.  Call it the poor man's svn tag! :)

 Andrew> In SVN, an alias or revision number by itself is useless.
 Andrew> You need a dir to go along with the revision/alias to be
 Andrew> accurate.  Aliasing 'FOO' to a revision in a repository
 Andrew> doesn't tell me a damn thing.  What code does FOO (or
 Andrew> revision 1234) apply to?  A revision can have check-ins from
 Andrew> multiple directories _across_ multiple baselines.  Even if
 Andrew> FOO is from a check-in under one tree, does FOO apply to the
 Andrew> root of the tree, or just for a subproject?

 Andrew> Ex: I check-in /branches/rel.1.0/big_project/logging/log.java
 Andrew> as revision 1234.  I alias 1234 as FOO.  Does FOO apply to
 Andrew> 'rel1.0', 'big_project', or just the 'logging' component?

I must be missing something.

In Subversion, a revision number always identifies a revision of the
repository.  The WHOLE repository.

Any one checkin is likely to change only a subset of the repository,
but nevertheless the rev number identifies a particular state of the
whole repository.  If you care what bits were changed by a particular
rev, do "svn log -r 1234 -v" on the repository root, and svn will tell
you.

So the proposal certainly is logically valid.  And I could see some

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <jr...@ATT.COM>.

That's about as useful as putting license plates on the rear bumpers of
airplanes.  =)

In SVN, an alias or revision number by itself is useless.  You need a
dir to go along with the revision/alias to be accurate.  Aliasing 'FOO'
to a revision in a repository doesn't tell me a damn thing.  What code
does FOO (or revision 1234) apply to?  A revision can have check-ins
from multiple directories _across_ multiple baselines.  Even if FOO is
from a check-in under one tree, does FOO apply to the root of the tree,
or just for a subproject?

Ex:
	I check-in /branches/rel.1.0/big_project/logging/log.java as
revision 1234.  I alias 1234 as FOO.  Does FOO apply to 'rel1.0',
'big_project', or just the 'logging' component?

Ex #2:
	I fix a logging bug and merged the code fix across three
branches as revision 1234:
		/branches/prod.1.0.1/logging/log.java
		/branches/rel.1.1.0/logging/log.java
		/branches/rel.2.0/logging/log.java
	What does revision 1234 or FOO actually represent?

../tags/some_dir clearly establishes a baseline.  The tags/some_dir
eliminates the need to remember a random revision number, which is what
you're asking for.
Ex:
	svn copy /branches/rel.1.0/big_project/logging /tags/logging.1.1

SVN already does what your users want to do.

I went from seven years of ClearCase before using SVN.  Initially, I had
a bear of time with the idea of one and only one revision number, no
traditional revision tree, and the lack of traditional labels/tags.
Nowadays, I don't miss any of those things.  And more importantly, I can
see how the old RCS paradigm has really limited systems like ClearCase,
Dimensions, CVS, etc., which do implement "traditional" tags/labels.

Your users need to get used to the (large) paradigm shifts in SVN.
(Except for the (criminal) lack of merge tracking and merge bugs,) I've
found that SVN is a great system based on solid paradigms.  SVN works,
but SVN will not work if you try to force it to do things the way you
did in the old country.  Which is why you put tail numbers and
transponders on airplanes instead of license plates mounted on rear
bumpers.

Lecturing aside, the purpose of a tag is to create a baseline.  'svn
copy' is how you create a tag/baseline in SVN.  Instead of placing tags
or labels on files, you simply create a directory (normally under
.../tags) of the versions you want, and that directory becomes a
tag/baseline.  It's a simple concept, but for some reason, people are so
used to the paradigm of applying tags "in-place" to existing files that
creating a tag directory is somehow "complicated."

*****

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"Reedick, Andrew" <jr...@ATT.COM> writes:
> "what tags apply to this file?" is the same as asking what baselines
> (aka tags) is the file in.  In SVN you can search the baselines (tag
> directories) for the file, or you use merging to make sure the file gets
> into the various baselines/tags in the first place.
>
> Granted, searching over a whole bunch of SVN tag directories isn't as
> efficient as looking at the tags on an individual file.  However, the
> whole reason we've been able to do that in other RCS like systems, is
> because RCS stored all information about a file on a per file basis,
> which made it grossly inefficient to manipulate groups of files or to
> think about all the files as a whole.

What you say is true, but still it would be nice if people had an
efficient way to ask "What tags is this particular version of this
file in?"  The fact that Subversion doesn't offer a clean way to do
this is a deficiency that we should rectify someday, IMHO.  Just
because we version trees doesn't mean we should forget about files :-).

RE: RE: feature request: svn revision alias

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <jr...@ATT.COM>.

Bzzzt!  Not applicable due to paradigm shift and/or bad assumptions from
using RCS based systems for so long.  =)

"what tags apply to this file?" is the same as asking what baselines
(aka tags) is the file in.  In SVN you can search the baselines (tag
directories) for the file, or you use merging to make sure the file gets
into the various baselines/tags in the first place.

Granted, searching over a whole bunch of SVN tag directories isn't as
efficient as looking at the tags on an individual file.  However, the
whole reason we've been able to do that in other RCS like systems, is
because RCS stored all information about a file on a per file basis,
which made it grossly inefficient to manipulate groups of files or to
think about all the files as a whole.

In other words, SVN encourages you to think in terms of change-sets and
baselines.  RCS-based systems encourage you to think in terms of
individual files.  SVN == forest.  ClearCase/RCS/CVS == trees.

IMHO, thinking in terms of change-sets and baselines is better from a
process/change management/software life cycle point of view.

RE: RE: feature request: svn revision alias

Posted by "Gleason, Todd" <tg...@impac.com>.
Isn't this where you'd use revision graphs?  TortoiseSVN has this
built-in, and on the command line you can use

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/client-side/svn-graph.pl

Admittedly, revision graphs are dog slow, but I don't imagine needing
this feature very often either.

Of course copies-as-tags fails in the "what tags apply to this file?"
scenario.

Eric

RE: RE: feature request: svn revision alias

Posted by Ni...@infineon.com.

Wouldn't it be possible (maybe even preferable?) to use a rev property
for this? Then you could see all good builds by looking in the rev logs.
Presumably a "grep" and a "tail" would show you the latest good build.
Since a property is a name/value pair, you could have a QA property with
various settings, describing the state of this revision and even change
it based on the level of testing that rev has received.

Usually, naming/aliasing revisions is something you do that adds meaning
to a revision, but this is probably better expressed in metadata (or
properties in SVN).

The obvious downside to properties, is that there are usualyy not
clearly expressed in GUI version trees.

Nick.

RE: feature request: svn revision alias

Posted by Paul Koning <Pa...@dell.com>.

 >> -----Original Message----- From: Paul Koning
 >> [mailto:Paul_Koning@dell.com]
 >> So we end up with this:
 >>
 >> svn rm .../tags/last_good_nightly_x svn cp .../branches/x
 >> .../tags/last_good_nightly_x
 >>
 >> and that works.

 David> Why is this a problem - because it is a two-step process?

Mostly because it's a cause of user confusion -- the command does
different things depending on the previous state of the repository.

 >>  Next problem: I want to see the history of that tag.  In other
 >> words, what are all the revs that I tagged?
 >>
 >> The obvious answer is:
 >>
 >> svn log .../tags/last_good_nightly_x
 >>
 >> but that doesn't give me the history of the tag (the sequence of
 >> revs that were tagged with that tag); instead, it gives me the
 >> history of the branch rev that was most recently tagged, or it
 >> just gives me the last tag (if I say --stop-on-copy).

 David> What is your use case for this feature?  What is the benefit
 David> of "changing the contents" of a tag, and tracking the history
 David> of those changes? Is "the sequence of revs having that tag" a
 David> history of what revision numbers that name referenced in the
 David> past (e.g., r22 on Monday, r43 on Tuesday, r55 on Friday)?  Is
 David> this and the prior point essentially a pining for "floating
 David> labels"?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 19, 2008, at 14:42, kmradke@rockwellcollins.com wrote:

>>> In our build scripts we want to tag "last good nightly build
>>> of release stream x".  So, roughly speaking, that amounts to:
>>>
>>>    svn cp .../branches/x .../tags/last_good_nightly_x
>>>
>>> However, that doesn't work.  More precisely, it only works
>>> the first time.  If you do it a second time, you end up with
>>> "x" as a subdirectory inside last_good_nightly_x, because the
>>> second time is't a copy to an existing directory name rather
>>> than a nonexistent directory name.
>>>
>>> So we end up with this:
>>>
>>>    svn rm .../tags/last_good_nightly_x
>>>    svn cp .../branches/x .../tags/last_good_nightly_x
>>>
>>> and that works.
>>
>> Why is this a problem - because it is a two-step process?
>
> Personally, I think it would be nice to have a '-f' option
> to force an overwrite, thus reducing the 2 steps into one.
> (Just like the unix cp -f)
>
> svn cp -f .../branches/x .../tags/last_good_nightly_x

I believe you can already use the Multiple URL Command Client,
svnmucc, to perform these two steps in a single revision.

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/svnmucc/
svnmucc.c

RE: feature request: svn revision alias

Posted by km...@rockwellcollins.com.
"Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)" <Da...@thehartford.com> wrote on
02/19/2008 02:33:51 PM:

Kevin R.

RE: feature request: svn revision alias

Posted by "Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)" <Da...@thehartford.com>.

What is your use case for this feature?  What is the benefit of
"changing the contents" of a tag, and tracking the history of those
changes? Is "the sequence of revs having that tag" a history of what
revision numbers that name referenced in the past (e.g., r22 on Monday,
r43 on Tuesday, r55 on Friday)?  Is this and the prior point essentially
a pining for "floating labels"?

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <jr...@ATT.COM>.

The solution is to store the revision number and the path somewhere.
With those two items of data, you can easily reproduce your build and
have easy access to history.

The downside is that such information isn't "easy" to store in
subversion, unless you use properties, or check-in a file containing the
information in a separate admin dir.  Which isn't that difficult to
implement, but the fact that you have to implement it yourself is
annoying.  =/

> So we end up with this:
>
> 	svn rm .../tags/last_good_nightly_x
> 	svn cp .../branches/x .../tags/last_good_nightly_x
>
> and that works.
>
> Next problem: I want to see the history of that tag.  In other words,
> what are all the revs that I tagged?

If you save off the svn_url+rev for each build, then you can:
	svn log -r PREVIOUS_BUILD_REV:CURRENT_BUILD_REV svn_url

"Easy," and free of Evil Peg Revisions(tm) but annoying since you have
to implement it yourself.

*****

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. GA622

RE: feature request: svn revision alias

Posted by Paul Koning <Pa...@dell.com>.
 >> Aside from "some people aren't used to it", I've not seen any
 >> convincing disadvantages demonstrated for just using 'svn copy' to
 >> create a tag, I have to admit.  I'm keeping an open mind, but if
 >> we're going to extend Subversion's interface, it should be because
 >> of a convincing advantage.

Ok, here's one.

[...]

So I end up with:

       svn log .../tags

and filter the output for references to last_good_nightly_x.  Yes,
that works.  But the performance is quite bad, and it's a hassle to
program even with friendly tools like pysvn.

	paul

RE: feature request: svn revision alias

Posted by "Miller, Eric" <Er...@amd.com>.
> There have been some requests for this before.  It's not out of the
> question, but it's complicated.  For example, we already have some
> symbolic revision names ("HEAD", "PREV", etc), and these would have to
> become special reserved labels, since they can already be used where a
> revision number would normally be used.  But then we have to predict
> all future special labels, which is hard to do.
>
> Aside from "some people aren't used to it", I've not seen any
> convincing disadvantages demonstrated for just using 'svn copy' to
> create a tag, I have to admit.  I'm keeping an open mind, but if we're
> going to extend Subversion's interface, it should be because of a
> convincing advantage.

I swear I saw a dev agree this was a valid use case.  I wonder if I can
dig it up...

Posted by OS <os...@portfoolio.com>.
Reserved revision names? No problem.
The user wouldn't be allowed to create that kind of alias, of course.
(Again, sounds simple?...)

The root of my users' complaint is that tagging is not copying (while
branching is).
As a concept, tagging is just labeling. (I guess?)
And in that sense (and strictly speaking), svn lacks the concept of tagging.

And after looking around, I've found that all other SCMs do support
tagging as a distinct concept.
(I guess they see some advantage in that)

But again, I've given up on "concept" discussions and ended up having to
implement a workaround
at my users' complaints. (It's simple enough thank goodness) The
customer is always right they say :)

So I just thought I'd feed it back as it seemed to fit quite nicely with
svn's revision scheme.

Cheers!

Posted by "Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)" <Da...@thehartford.com>.
Martin
>	Bischoff
>	Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:03 AM
>
>	I can see at least one disadvantage of the way how tags work:
>	since a tag is the same as a branch or a copy, it is possible
that users
>	commit to a tag (by accident). This means that the tag then no
longer
>	represents the same revision as when the tag was created. I'm
sure such a
>	situation can easily be corrected, but still, with a distinctive
tag
>	operation (named revisions) this might not happen.
>
>	Regards.

That is easilly resolved by restricting write access to the "tags" path.

Posted by "Gleason, Todd" <tg...@impac.com>.
I think the way to solve this is to give only build personnel write
access to the tags folder(s).  Then they can create tags, and patch a
tag where appropriate (such as to fix a build error) by merging
developer changes from the trunk.

Posted by Martin Bischoff <ti...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.