Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at> on 2005/09/08 19:51:54 UTC

[Fulcrum] Any legal issues with copy/pasting code under Creative Commons Licence?!

Hi folks,

for implementing interceptors for YAAFI I reused a few classes from the
Java 1.4 backport of JSR 166 (java.util.concurrent) (see
http://www.mathcs.emory.edu/dcl/util/backport-util-concurrent/). The
code is released to the public domain using the Creatice Commons Licence
(see http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/).

Do I run into any licencing problem when adding the files with a
different package name to the Fulcrum project (hey, finding/writing a
proper reentrant read/write lock is not trivial) since this is not under
Apache Licence 2.0?!

Thanks in advance

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: [Fulcrum] Any legal issues with copy/pasting code under Creative

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Henning,

+) I try to minimize dependencies whenever possible - any
framework/container should ship with minimal dependencies and adding a
dependency for a single class is sort of overkill.

+) I just found commons-transaction which does contain an implementation
of  ReadWriteUpgradeLock. I have a look at next week but I would prefer
to use this implementation

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at> writes:

>Hi folks,

>for implementing interceptors for YAAFI I reused a few classes from the
>Java 1.4 backport of JSR 166 (java.util.concurrent) (see
>http://www.mathcs.emory.edu/dcl/util/backport-util-concurrent/). The
>code is released to the public domain using the Creatice Commons Licence
>(see http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/).

Personally, I'd prefer a "backport-util-concurrent" dependency in the
POM of YAAFI and getting them up on ibiblio. I've started to do this
with the 2.3 core. I commented out all libraries not needed when
building on JDK 1.4 and add some docs about how to build on JDK 1.3. I
could imagine the same thing with YAAFI and 1.4 / 1.5.

>Do I run into any licencing problem when adding the files with a
>different package name to the Fulcrum project (hey, finding/writing a
>proper reentrant read/write lock is not trivial) since this is not under
>Apache Licence 2.0?!

We would at least need a CCLA from them on file with the ASF. Just
copying the code wouldn't be the right thing IMHO.

	Best regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42