Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Troy Hakala <tr...@recipezaar.com> on 2007/02/08 19:52:53 UTC

[users@httpd] Caching proxy questions/discussion

I'd like to do 2 things with mod_proxy and mod_cache:

1. We have a set of pages with many URL parameter possibilities for
browsing/filtering content. Caching all of these combinations of the
URL results in too many pages in the cache and the cache management
burdens the caching server. IOW, we don't want to cache them, but
don't mind if other caches do.

Proposed solution: Make mod_cache understand a special header ("X-
Ignore-Expires", for example) that would make it ignore Expires: but
still pass it on to downstream clients and strip off the special header.

2. Some requests to content require validation, so we want the
initial request to go to the app servers which do the validation and
then tell the proxy to then get the content from elsewhere. IOW, make
the proxy do an internal redirect (that is not seen outside the proxy).

Proposed solution: Make mod_proxy understand a special header ("X-
Internal-Redirect", for example) that will make mod_proxy do a
request to the specified URL instead.

I don't believe Apache 2.2 + mod_proxy + mod_cache  (+mod_disk_cache)
can do this today, so please correct me if it can. If it can't, we
can do the work or we are willing to hire an Apache dev expert to
make these modifications.

Thoughts? Comments?

If you want to do the work, please email me off the list
(troy@recipezaar.com) with your hourly rate, your availability and
your experience with Apache development.