Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> on 2005/08/10 16:32:19 UTC

Re: JSF vs. Struts

Those of you on the Struts Developers list.  Would you like to comment on
this?

--
James Mitchell
Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Its interesting to hear that Struts "classic" is no longer undergoing
active development after 1.3.  This is something that I argued for a
long time ago on the dev list.  I haven't been keeping up with the
discussions lately so I must have missed that decisison.

I agree that you guys should continue to support struts classic with
bug fixes etc.  IMO there is much room for improvement in the
"classic" framework without breaking backwards compatability.  I think
the COR stuff gives the user what they need to take care of whatever
remains.

sean

Re: JSF vs. Struts

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.
FYI

http://jroller.com/page/dgeary

On 8/10/05, Don Brown <do...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I meant to type "undergo" as in Struts classic will continue to
> be actively developed for a long time to come.  Darn my fast fingers..
> :)
>
> Don
>
> On 8/10/05, Don Brown <do...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Quick correction: Struts is _not_ forking in any sense of the word.
> > Struts Ti is a sandbox project several of us are working on as an
> > exploration of a simplified framework more like Ruby on Rails than
> > JSF.  It has not been accepted as a Struts subproject, just as Shale
> > has not been accepted as "Struts 2.0".
> >
> > The Struts project is currently in, what I would call, a state of
> > exploration.  In addition to Shale and Ti, there are other projects
> > like Struts Overdrive, Struts Flow, etc., which are also exploring
> > different aspects of web development.  Of course, there will be Struts
> > classic still for a long time to come which will continue to forego
> > active development.
> >
> > I think Struts is realizing there is no "one way" when it comes to web
> > development.  If a particular project or approach interests you, join
> > in.  Personally, I think shale will be a great success building on the
> > strong JSF framework, and if it meets your needs, give it a shot.
> > Just as not every web application is the same, neither is their needs
> > for a framework.
> >
> > Don
> >
> > On 8/10/05, James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > Those of you on the Struts Developers list.  Would you like to comment on
> > > this?
> > >

> > > --
> > > James Mitchell
> > > Software Engineer / Open Source Evangelist
> > > Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance
> > > EdgeTech, Inc.
> > > http://www.edgetechservices.net/
> > > 678.910.8017
> > > AIM:   jmitchtx
> > > MSN:   jmitchell@apache.org
> > > Skype: jmitchtx

Matthias Wessendorf

Re: JSF vs. Struts

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.

Re: JSF vs. Struts

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.

Re: JSF vs. Struts

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
I think that most everyone would agree that exploration is a very good
thing.  At least I have not run into the people who take the opposite
stand.

Unfortunately, I think there is a definite disconnect between market
forces and what is the best product.  This is particularly true with
the computer industry, in my experience.  Market forces include hype,
and if you want the industry to do well, you are certainly obligated
to meet hype with hype.

The next email in this thread references an individual's thoughts on
JSF versus other options.  This reference leaves out stuff that is
more than relevant.  That is how it works.  JSF is struggling, so they
are playing hardball at the top.  I think that is okay.  I can play in
that ballpark.  I wish so many people were not toadies though and
would participate instead of choosing a leader for themselves.

However, exploration is great. Wonnderful, wonnderful!

I don't think that there is that much to computer programming.  It
really is not rocket science.  And, I don't think the advances have
been that great in the last five years, except in the market place.  I
have used at least five different frameworks equal to or better than
Struts and certainly better than JSF before five years ago.  I think
we do not see often how much there is out there in companies that do
not use open source.

~Dakota Jack~

Re: JSF vs. Struts

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Re: JSF vs. Struts

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
I have to agree personally with Rod Johnson "J2EE without EJBs",
Spring framework architect, etc., when he says that Shale is merely a
stopgap and that Struts as we know it is simply incompatible with JSF.
 That seems fairly obvious and I find it hard to believe that anyone
familiar with the issues would think any differently.  I personally
would not hire anyone would thought differently, whether they like JSF
or not.

JSF is not new.  JSF has been around forever, so it cannot be the
cutting edge.  If it is cutting, it is the "cutting middle" and almost
the "cutting tailend".  The JSF idea has been around even longer with
all sorts of frameworks which I personally think do it better.
Indeed, I think it fair to say that one of the main architects of the
JSF framework has said as much but has to feed his family.

Certainly, if you like JSF, knock yourself out.  Love it to death.  I
don't care.  I only care about giving people that ask a fair
evaluation of the product without the hype.

On 8/10/05, Don Brown <do...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Quick correction: Struts is _not_ forking in any sense of the word.
> Struts Ti is a sandbox project several of us are working on as an
> exploration of a simplified framework more like Ruby on Rails than
> JSF.  It has not been accepted as a Struts subproject, just as Shale
> has not been accepted as "Struts 2.0".
>
> The Struts project is currently in, what I would call, a state of
> exploration.  In addition to Shale and Ti, there are other projects
> like Struts Overdrive, Struts Flow, etc., which are also exploring
> different aspects of web development.  Of course, there will be Struts
> classic still for a long time to come which will continue to forego
> active development.
>
> I think Struts is realizing there is no "one way" when it comes to web
> development.  If a particular project or approach interests you, join
> in.  Personally, I think shale will be a great success building on the
> strong JSF framework, and if it meets your needs, give it a shot.
> Just as not every web application is the same, neither is their needs
> for a framework.
>
> Don
>
> On 8/10/05, James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Those of you on the Struts Developers list.  Would you like to comment on
> > this?
> >

> > --
> > James Mitchell
> > Software Engineer / Open Source Evangelist
> > Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance
> > EdgeTech, Inc.
> > http://www.edgetechservices.net/
> > 678.910.8017
> > AIM:   jmitchtx
> > MSN:   jmitchell@apache.org
> > Skype: jmitchtx

~Dakota Jack~

Re: JSF vs. Struts

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
I figured it was something like that :)  Would have been a bit of a
bombshell to drop matter-of-factly otherwise :)

I'm reminded of a scene from Babylon 5 where Londo and Vir are
conspiring to kill the emperor and they are talking about after they
poison him, depending on how fast the poison acts, he might have time to
stumble into his guards and say "Londo killed me!"... then again, he
might be all delirious and yell out "KILL LONDO!" instead :)

So, forgo vs. undergo... not QUITE as big a mistake :)

Frank

Re: JSF vs. Struts

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Re: JSF vs. Struts