Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Holly Cummins <ho...@googlemail.com> on 2012/07/18 01:17:18 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Aries proxy impl and application utils release candidates

I've staged a release candidate for the set of Aries jars, proxy-impl,
application-noop-resolver, and application-utils.

WHAT'S BEEN RELEASED?

The modules are staged and tagged as follows:

proxy-impl:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/aries/tags/org.apache.aries.proxy.impl-1.0.0/

application-utils:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/aries/tags/org.apache.aries.application.utils-1.0.0/

application-noop-resolver:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/aries/tags/org.apache.aries.application.resolver.noop-1.0.0

VERIFYING THE RELEASE

Instructions for verifying the release are at
http://aries.apache.org/development/verifyingrelease.html.
Alternately, cut and paste the following to run a full check:

wget --no-check-certificate
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/aries/scripts/verify_staged_release.sh
chmod a+x verify_staged_release.sh
./verify_staged_release.sh 060 mytempdirectory 2>&1 | tee verifyresults.txt
grep FAIL verifyresults.txt
grep ERROR verifyresults.txt

SOURCE ZIPS

Artifacts are in one staged repo,
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachearies-060/.
Links to the *.zip files for each module are provided below:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachearies-060/org/apache/aries/proxy/org.apache.aries.proxy.impl/1.0.0/org.apache.aries.proxy.impl-1.0.0-source-release.zip
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachearies-060/org/apache/aries/application/org.apache.aries.application.utils/1.0.0/org.apache.aries.application.utils-1.0.0-source-release.zip
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachearies-060/org/apache/aries/application/org.apache.aries.application.resolver.noop/1.0.0/org.apache.aries.application.resolver.noop-1.0.0-source-release.zip

The RAT and IANAL build checks passed. Note that, although RAT is
configured to ignore *.MF and other files that do not require the ASF
licence, theses files are still reported incorrectly as RAT failures. As
before, archetype-catalog.xml files fail the SHA checks but probably
shouldn't be checked.

The vote will be open for 72 hours, closing Friday evening.

[ ] +1
[ ]  0
[ ] -1

RE: [VOTE] Apache Aries proxy impl and application utils release candidates

Posted by Timothy Ward <ti...@apache.org>.
I have not checked the signatures, but have built the three bundles as well as checking over the poms and the manifests.

I have noticed two things:

1. The proxy impl bundle should have better JavaDoc on the WovenProxy interface to say "Yes this class is exported. No it is not API. Your bundle may end up wiring to this package as woven proxy classes will implement this interface. DO NOT IMPLEMENT THIS IN SOURCE!". This is in no way a blocker, I will try to think up a suitable description and commit it for whatever 1.0.x comes later.

2. The no-op resolver class imports the org.apache.aries.application.management.spi.resolve package with a version range of "[1.0,1.1)". This is absolutely acceptable semantic versioning if writing a resolver is not for "clients" of this package. I just want to check that everybody is happy with this decision (i.e. that implementing this interface is never really applicable to end users, just runtimes).

If anyone disagrees with item 2 then speak up now. I'm happy enough and am voting +1 for all these releases

Thanks Holly, I think you have enough votes now. I look forward to seeing the release when 72 hours are up!

Regards,

Tim

Tim Ward
-------------------
Apache Aries PMC member & Enterprise OSGi advocate
Enterprise OSGi in Action (http://www.manning.com/cummins)
-------------------

Posted by Emily Jiang <em...@googlemail.com>.
+1

--
Thanks
Emily

Re: [VOTE] Apache Aries proxy impl and application utils release candidates

Posted by Graham Charters <gc...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

[RESULT][VOTE] Apache Aries proxy impl and application utils release candidates

Posted by Holly Cummins <ho...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks again to everyone for your votes on these bundles. The vote has
been running for *exactly* 72 hours, and got enough votes some time
ago, which is awesome.
Here are the results:

[+1] 5 There are 5 binding votes from PMC members (David Bosschaert,
Graham Charters, Emily Jiang, Tim Ward, Mark Nuttall).
[0] 0
[-1] 0

I'll promote the release to maven repositories and the Apache download
site. I won't update links on the Aries download page yet,
since we haven't released anything which uses these bundles yet. I'll
also try and resist the temptation to update our source dependencies
until I'm *sure* maven central has been updated. :)

Cheers,
Holly

Posted by Mark Nuttall <mn...@apache.org>.
+1