Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> on 2008/05/28 08:12:19 UTC

Re: Summarizing how we dot the i's

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 3:33 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 3:28 AM, Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> wrote:
>> In Larry's talk today at OSBC, the subject of what Apache do beyond
>>  the usual level of a SF.net project came up and I didn't think we had
>>  anything on a single page that someone could be pointed to to get the
>>  full picture of what we do.
>>
>>  Here's a draft, very very weak now I'm sure, listing the bits that we do.
>>
>>  http://people.apache.org/~bayard/process-draft.html
>
> Excellent start!  Thanks!
>
> The only outright bug that I see relates to (iii).  Every committer
> must have signed an ICLA prior to obtaining an id.  Frequent
> contributors may also be asked to sign an ICLA.

Changed to:

"Individuals who want to directly contribute to the project sign a "
(from Individuals who will repeatedly commit to the codebase).

I've added:

"Usually these contributions take the effect of commits to the source
code repository, another example is for access to updating the website
through a content management system." to the end, but I'm not sure of
the use cases for frequent contributors being asked to sign an ICLA
for other reasons.

>>  Any thoughts on:
>>
>>  a) Adding a drafts/ directory to SVN to put this stuff in rather than
>>  living in ~foo.
>
> +1
>
> One done, I'll also redirect ~rubys/3party.html to there.

It's there - go ahead and move 3party in.

>>  b) Whether this page should exist? [maybe there already is one that I
>>  just can't find?]
>
> I am not aware of such a page.
>
>>  c) What needs to be improved on this page. I'm sure it needs a lot of
>>  work to i) get it all in there and ii) make sure we're not overstating
>>  anything.
>
> Other things worth pointing out:
>
> 1) Small contributions may also come in through the mailing list.  See
> second paragraph of the section 1 of the ICLA.  We accept such
> contributions, however, without an ICLA.

Mailing list added. I don't see how the ICLA makes a huge difference
here - the process of a patch arriving at the ASF is of more interest
I think than the development of new code amongst committers (which is
what the ICLA is presumably covering for a mailing list).

> 2) Sections 4 and 6 of the ICLA form are worth summarizing and
> highlighting here.

I'd rather not put too much in. It's process rather than justification.

> 3) I would recommend rewording the text concerning CCLAs to match what
> section 4 of the ICLA says.

Modified accordingly.

> 4) Every ASF project is set up to email commit diffs back to a project
> mailing list.  The PMC is responsible for ensuring that such changes
> are reviewed for license issues.

Done.

> Miinor:
>
> Go ahead and link to the http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas.

Done.

> Other:
>
> You used the word large, I used the word small.  A brief discussion of
> those terms is warranted.

Yeah. In fact I use large and small now. I have three levels:

1) Large. Software grant.
2) Normal. JIRA patch checkbox or statement from developer to the same
effect in bugzilla/mailing list.
3) Small. Offered patch that doesn't provide any explicit permission.

> Patents and trademarks probably deserve similar pages.  The PRC
> largely handles issues of protecting our marks.

We need a Trademark policy page, but that's a different matter. In
this case I think a line could be added regarding trademarks and the
incubator - that we look for such things when starting new projects.
On patents - I'm not sure if there's anything to say. If we are made
aware of a potential issue, we investigate it.

Hen