Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Pierre Auslander <pa...@www.dalinsoft.ch> on 2004/03/31 11:20:43 UTC

[math] sparse algebra

Gents,

would it be of any interest to contribute sparse matrices (with iterative
decomposition, solvers, etc.) to commons.math?

Some time ago I've implemented such a library in C++, using iterative
algorithms. It allowed us to handle very large sparse matrices (e.g. 100'000
by 100'000 correlation matrices used in risk management) in record space and
time. I need now a Java version and think of translating the library and
possibly contributing it to jakarta/commons.

Thanks for your comments.

Pierre Auslaender
pauslander@dalinsoft.ch

Re: [math] sparse algebra

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Pierre Auslander wrote:
> Ok. When is 1.0 due for delivery (roughly)?

The only honest answer that we can give to that is "when it is ready."
See http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/faqs/helping.html#release

I think it is fair to say that we are "close" to a 1.0, but a fair amount
of cleanup remains to be done and the timeline really depends on the
amount of volunteer time available and what else emerges as we complete
code and test review.

> Meanwhile I will do the Java rewrite and make the source + func & perf tests
> available on our website so you guys can have a look before any commit.

Sounds good.  Pls also make sure that you will be able to apply the Apache
Software License (http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0) to the
translated Java code when you submit it.  You may also want to have a look
at http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla.txt.

> BTW, is there any "graph library" proposal? Or any "heuristic optimisation"
> like simulated annealing, ant walk, genetic programming, etc. I know it's not
> numerics, but its still maths and algebra...

Once we get 1.0 out, we will be open to any and all suggestions for where
to go with extensions, subject to the guiding principles in the project
proposal:

1. Real-world application use cases will determine development priority.
2. This package will emphasize small, easily integrated components rather
than large libraries with complex dependencies and configurations.
3. All algorithms will be fully documented and follow generally accepted
best practices.
4. In situations where multiple standard algorithms exist, a Strategy
pattern will be used to support multiple implementations.
5. Limited dependencies. No external dependencies beyond Commons
components and the core Java 2 platform.

This leaves the mathematical scope wide open -- there is already certainly
more than numerics included already.

Thanks!

Phil

Re: [math] sparse algebra

Posted by Pierre Auslander <pa...@www.dalinsoft.ch>.
Ok. When is 1.0 due for delivery (roughly)?

Meanwhile I will do the Java rewrite and make the source + func & perf tests
available on our website so you guys can have a look before any commit.

BTW, is there any "graph library" proposal? Or any "heuristic optimisation"
like simulated annealing, ant walk, genetic programming, etc. I know it's not
numerics, but its still maths and algebra...

Cheers,
Pierre
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:31:32 -0800 (PST), Al Chou wrote

Re: [math] sparse algebra

Posted by Al Chou <ho...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [math] sparse algebra

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.