Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by David Morris <Da...@plumcreek.com> on 2002/06/19 22:52:32 UTC

[pool] Empty pools that never grow

While playing around with the generic pool implementation, I tried what

seemed intuitive and found that I would deadlock my system every time.

What I did was set up a GenericObjectPool with maxactive = -1. The
javadoc says this will give me an unlimited number of instances. It may

but it ends up waiting forever if you do not set when exhausted to
grow.

The comment for when exhausted says that grow removes the maxactive
limit. Another thing I found is no convenience constructor for an
unlimited
growth pool. Is that a really bad idea? If it would be helpful I could
post
a patch that clears up some of the ambiguity in the comments and
possibly adds a convenience constructor for an growth with no max
active
or time limit since it appears these are ignored anyway?

Thanks,

David Morris