Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Tomer Shiran <ts...@apache.org> on 2014/10/25 08:03:23 UTC

[RESULT][VOTE] Graduation of Apache Drill from the Incubator

Hi Everyone,

This vote to graduate Apache Drill to a top-level project has passed with 9
binding +1s and no -1s.

Ted Dunning
Jake Farrell
Henry Saputra
Roman Shaposhnik
Bertrand Delacretaz
Chris Douglas
Sebastian Schelter
Steve Loughran
Alan D. Cabrera

This follows a vote on the Drill dev list which passed with 23 +1s. Thanks
to everyone for voting. I will now submit the resolution to the board.

Thanks,
Tomer

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Graduation of Apache Drill from the Incubator

Posted by Aditya <ad...@gmail.com>.
That's correct. I was talking about recent commits (last few hundreds or
so).

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aditya <ad...@gmail.com>.
As a general rule, we *always* preserve patch's author information in the
commits.

There have been, however, occasions where more than one contributors
have worked together on a single feature and whenever it had made sense,
voluntarily squashed commits under a single contributor's name. Even in
such cases, the commit retains one of the original contributor's
information.

Mongo storage plugin [1] is one such example.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-drill/commit/2ca9c907bff639e08a561eac32e0acab3a0b3304

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
The github listing is not a valid measure since many non-committer (and
quite a few committer) changes were squashed into larger commits.

Also, it is recent commits, not total commits that matter.  Recent non-mapr
contributions include:

- Pig parser

- Mongo data source

I should point out also that the Optiq parser was written by Julian Hyde,
currently employed by Hortonworks.  Julian was made a committer after that
code was brought in so your counts don't reflect that.

Another corporate participant just contacted me with an additional
potential large donation as well.

Also, perhaps the precedent you are seeking regarding graduation policies
would be Ambari.  The PMC is >80% from Hortonworks, but that didn't hinder
graduation.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (3980)
<ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> It¹s not a requirement for graduation from the Incubator, as succinctly
> summarized by Roy (and I am +1 on this):
>
> http://markmail.org/message/w56cmyri4osgcgud

+1 This has been covered often, and recently. -C

Posted by Timothy Chen <tn...@gmail.com>.
Just want to chime in around diversity in Drill.

I've been involved in Drill since the beginning of incubation as a non
MapR employee, and from the beginning of the project Drill opened up
the design and contributions to the community, and was obvious from
the design google docs early on with collaborations and feedback from
the community as a whole, to the Google hangouts that are conducted
weekly with all the community members which consistently have multiple
companies show up to chime in discussions.

Being also involved with other top level Apache projects, I view Drill
as already working nicely with the community and very least very
active discussing and improving around allowing diversity.

Tim

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 11:19 PM, Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we should open another separate thread to continue the
> diversity discussions without hijacking RESULT thread for Drill.

Great point.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Graduation of Apache Drill from the Incubator

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
I wish the discussions that Sean started had occur for projects like
Knox or Tez.

I interacted and watch Drill project for a while before being pulled
out from my prev employer to stop working on it and I could see that
the community did try very hard to diversify and embrace new
contributors from external people.

I think we should open another separate thread to continue the
diversity discussions without hijacking RESULT thread for Drill.

- Henry

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tomer Shiran <ts...@gmail.com>.
Oops, you're right, and thanks for the clarification. I missed that when I
was going through the thread. We actually have 11 +1s (and not 9 as
previously stated). In addition to what I listed previously I should have
listed:

Chris A Mattmann
Sergio Fernández