Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by bu...@mac.com on 2005/07/21 23:00:19 UTC

[Messenger] Abandonware?

Hi, Has Messenger been abandoned? I can't seem to get the source - couldn't get at CVS. I realize that it is only a sandbox project. Also, CodeHaus also has a project named Messenger also contributed to by James Strachan. Seems like a useful project. Is anyone using it? Can anyone recommend it?

Thanks,

Bub

Re: [all] archiving sandbox components [WAS Re: [Messenger] Abandonware?]

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.
7. A component can be unarchived (back into the sandbox) by a vote.

Any committer can start a new sandbox project without a vote so I think
any committer should be able to revive a component back to the sandbox
(without a vote). Normal veto as for any commit does apply of course.

-- Dirk

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, robert burrell donkin
<ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> we'd also need to check with gump to ensure that removing the
> component doesn't beak anything.

In particular Gump will tell you if anybody else depends on the
component.

Stefan

Re: [all] archiving sandbox components [WAS Re: [Messenger] Abandonware?]

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 7/24/05, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> if such a report was automated then we'd probably need to wait until the
> zones are up and running. we'd need a volunteer to code it also.
>
> if such a report was manually generated, this would mean someone
> volunteering to create and maintain it.

I like Phil's report idea too.

A basic version can be read straight off of
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta/commons/sandbox/

The last time somebody ran something global will show for any inactive
projects. Currently this would mean that only compress, contract,
i18n, id, javaflow, jci and pipeline would count as active, everyone
else having had at least 4 months of inactivity. Harder to tell beyond
that as Dirk did a global 4 months ago.

Hen

Re: [all] archiving sandbox components [WAS Re: [Messenger] Abandonware?]

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 11:31 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> Looks good.  Couple of clarifying questions:
>
> 1. What happens to nightly builds, if the component has been set up to
> have them?
> 2. What happens to jars in the "internal" snapshot repo
> (/www/cvs.apache.org/repository)?
>
> My HO would be best to stop nightlies (which will start failing anyway
> ;-)

+1

> and to remove the snapshot jars.

i don't really know anything about the snapshot repo.

we'd also need to check with gump to ensure that removing the component
doesn't beak anything.

> I like the idea of doing the "cleanup" as a group a couple of times a
> year.  As stated in the proposal, though,  we need to make sure to
> give community members sufficient time to weigh in.  Here is a
> suggestion:
>
> * Generate a monthly report listing the apparently dormant sandbox
> components, posted to both commons-dev and commons-user.   Understand
> if this may be seen as an annoyance, but it is one way to keep the
> surprises to a minimum.  If mailing list volume is a concern (though
> one more message a month is a drop in the bucket ;-), this could be
> posted to a web page somewhere.

interesting idea...

if such a report was automated then we'd probably need to wait until the
zones are up and running. we'd need a volunteer to code it also.

if such a report was manually generated, this would mean someone
volunteering to create and maintain it.

> * Every six months, kick off a VOTE (technically, a bunch of lazy
> consensus VOTEs) based on the most recent report.
> * Agree informally to spawn separate discussion threads for each -1
> (binding or not).  Allow a month for these discussions.  At the end of
> the month, archive any components that have not mustered binding -1's.

sounds good

- robert

Re: [all] archiving sandbox components [WAS Re: [Messenger] Abandonware?]

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
[...]

Phil

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Re: [Messenger] Abandonware?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 10:33 -0400, Henri Yandell wrote:

<snip>

> As he was the only developer on Messenger, the one in Commons is
> effectively deprecated in favour of the Codehaus project. We need to
> come up with a dormancy process for the sandbox to make this more
> clear.

hi hen

managed to have a chat with some folks at apachecon and a reasonable
proposal emerged. i'll pull something together now on the wiki now.

(flew home on thursday and ran out of time to do lots of things and see
lots of people - apologies if i missed you)

- robert

Re: [Messenger] Abandonware?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Sorry it took a little while to notice this email.

James wrote both the Jakarta Commons sandbox and then Codehaus
versions of Messenger. The Codehaus one is the more recently active,
but I'm unsure how much it differs from the one in Commons.

Re: [Messenger] Abandonware?

Posted by Jose Antonio Perez Testa <ja...@indra.es>.
Hi Bub,

Re: [Messenger] Abandonware?