Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by giacomo <gi...@apache.org> on 2001/11/28 08:42:27 UTC

Raising loglevel for poolables

Hi all

I'd like to raise some of the logging messages from DEBUG to INFO for the
poolable objects in the ExcaliburCM system because decommissioning of
objects is an important pool tuning information and IMO they should have a
higher logging level as they have today.

Any objections?

Giacomo

Re: Raising loglevel for poolables

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 18:42, giacomo wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'd like to raise some of the logging messages from DEBUG to INFO for the
> poolable objects in the ExcaliburCM system because decommissioning of
> objects is an important pool tuning information and IMO they should have a
> higher logging level as they have today.

Another option would be to create another subcategory and use that logger.
Something like

private Logger _poolingLogger;

enableLogging( Logger logger )
{
 super.enableLogging( logger );
 _poolingLogger = logger.getChildLogger( "pooling" );
}

void decomission()
{
  _poolingLogger.debug( "Some pooling data" );
}

And then when you are tuning your application you turn on debug in the
"pooling" category but leave the rest at whatever other level you want to
keep.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Raising loglevel for poolables

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
giacomo wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'd like to raise some of the logging messages from DEBUG to INFO for the
> poolable objects in the ExcaliburCM system because decommissioning of
> objects is an important pool tuning information and IMO they should have a
> higher logging level as they have today.
>
> Any objections?

No

--

"Those who would trade liberty for
  temporary security deserve neither"

RE: Raising loglevel for poolables

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Leo Sutic wrote:

> Giacomo,
>
> it is important, but only when you are tuning pool sizes. Otherwise each
> request will result in 10-20 log entries from the pool, which will drown out
> more important information.
>
> I'd prefer a note in the docs: Set log-level to DEBUG when tuning pool
> sizes.

Well, this is exactly what I'd like to go round :). This way the pool
tuning information will get lost in all the other debugging information an
application like Cocoon is producing :/.

The approach Peter is proposing (a dedicated logging category) seems to be
a way to go to handle that specific use case. But than we'll have a
hardcoded category in the pooling system. Is that ok?

Giacomo

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.
Giacomo,