Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Raymond Raymond <ra...@hotmail.com> on 2006/03/23 15:43:27 UTC

What difference between containCache and pageCache?

I found these two kinds of cache manager in the source
code. I am not sure what difference between containerCache
and pageCache?

Thanks.

Raymond

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented MicrosoftŽ SmartScreen
Technology
  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNŽ Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.

Re: What difference between containCache and pageCache?

Posted by Suresh Thalamati <su...@gmail.com>.
Container cache is used to keep track of the open containers
(table/indexes). An item in this cache is considered is dirty , if
the container header is modified or a dirty page from the cache is
written to the container file.

At checkpoint, page cache cleaning make sure all dirty pages in the
page cache are written to the disk and the container cache cleaning
will write the header and sync the container file if it is a dirty
container.

Thanks
-suresh

Posted by Raymond Raymond <ra...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks for your answer. I am looking at the code about checkpoint.
I found, in checkpoint, both of containerCache and pageCache will
dump dirty pages. As your answer, does it mean the dirty pages in
containerCache indicate updates on tables or indexes, and the dirty
pages in pageCache indicate updates on rows? Am I right?

Thanks.

Raymond

>From: Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>
>
>Raymond Raymond wrote:
>>I found these two kinds of cache manager in the source
>>code. I am not sure what difference between containerCache
>>and pageCache?
>
>A container is an aggregate object like a table or an index.
>
>A page is a hunk of bytes inside a container, used for storing rows.
>
>Does that help?
>
>thanks,
>
>bryan

to offer.