Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org> on 2011/06/06 19:06:24 UTC

Commerce and open-soure (Was) Proposal to join Apache OpenOffice

Having finally caught up with most of the discussion so far - I am wondering if there is a fundamental disconnect between how the various communities model commercial interests and open source.

Perhaps it is fair to surmise that Apache rules of engagement matured during the start of the dot-com boom. And where virtually each and every person involved was there for what I would almost call very 'selfish' reasons[0]. Fierce competitors (on content) easily conceded to collaboration (on technology and open standards). Driven by clear tradeoffs around time-to-market, interoperability or cost. Driven by clear 'win's for the contributors (and not necessarily considering a win-win at both contributor and nascent ASF) as the amplifying force.

Now above is probably too stark of a caricature - and a lot of people where motivated by a lot more (cool technology, the joy of collaborating and learning, access to smarter people, the challenge) and generally well attuned to the 'lets make the world a slightly better' place of internet engineering dominant in that period.

However I'd still argue that the fact that a lot of people then (and now) were driven by powerful commercial forces became part of the ASF its fabric. And then since then - the  apache community has learned how to work with that.

You may have noticed that above mentions 'people' far more often than companies.

And that is part of that lesson - Apache tends to work with individuals - who get their 'commit bit' based on merit, based on the opinion of their peers and their visible contributes. As opposed to corporate access or dealing with companies[1].  We trust people.

And unless they specifically state otherwise (and this is rare!), when an Apache member or committer posts on any mailing list - they do it as themselves. It is their personal point-of-view, wearing their personal hat and not as a mouthpiece for whatever company happens to be signing their paying their salary at that point. Likewise - VP's and ASF directors very rarely use their 'hat' - and if they do so - will identify themselves clearly. . And we do see a lot of ASF committers move from company to company - over periods of decades even - loyal to the codebase and apache[2] . Some have even managed to make a full circle.

But none of this makes the ASF a counter balance or a shield for- or from- corporate interests. It just makes it a place where individuals can safely contribute to code, release that code, get the benefit of proven processes and know that they shielded form the usual liabilities. And it makes it a place where anyone, individuals and companies alike - can pick up release - and where they know that their exposure is as it says of the tin.

So this is somewhat in contrast with other possible community structures. Where the collaboration structure _itself_ is there to protect, to shape; or where the contributors and interest sitting at the coding table are companies, rather than people. And where the collaboration structure needs to be strong enough to keep this in check.  Or where strong licenses, like the GPL, are needed to keep certain undesired commercial land grabs at bay.

The ASF its structure, culture and bylaws are simply not conductive to the latter. All it is, can do, is considering to accept a donation (software grant[3]) under very specific terms and then allow a self managing[2] group of individuals who are peers, work on that code within a fairly narrow set of processes[4] following a defined path[5].  And the ASF will only do this when that group of individuals is there. People. Willing to do work.  Only during that first bootstrapping phase is there some help[6] - but beyond that - projects are self manage, self select their PMCs, self propose individuals for commit access and so on.

And I think that this difference in expectation is at the heart of some of the current debates.

I'd personally expect that the Open Office world - which its sizeable impact on a very commercial enterprise world with expensive demands will need to garner a solid and balanced support ecosystem which is far beyond the ASF - where the free and strong ideological chops of, say, LibreOffice balance commercial product and support companies.

Hope this helps,

Dw.
--
Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx(at)webweaving(punto)org>

0: I'll be the first to admit that - though arguably in my case it was research money and getting satellite pictures distributed by other means than faxed request forms and large boxes of tape.
1: In all fairness - we do have Company Contributor License Agreements - partly as to make things easier on the process side for individuals which work in (large) companies. Companies do not contribute code - people do.
2: http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
3: http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt
4: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#releases
5: http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Process_Description.html
6: http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html

Re: Commerce and open-soure (Was) Proposal to join Apache OpenOffice

Posted by Dirk-WIllem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
On 6 Jun 2011, at 18:43, Benson Margulies wrote:

> The expression 'land-grab' in here bothers me.
>
> I understand (if not agree with) the 'deep philosophy justification'
> of the FSF for a particular licensing strategy.
>
> I understand the views of individuals who don't want to benefit
> corporations without extracting, at least, some token cooperation in
> return.
>
> I don't understand the analogy in which code is 'land' which can be
> 'grabbed'. If a corporation takes ALv2 licensed code and uses it to
> launch some close-source thing, the code isn't used up. It's still
> there where anyone else can use it for anything else.

Apologies - what I meant was that there is a fairly fundamental choice in the contract with the wider ecosystem - will you simply allow anyone to do anything* with the code (including forking it, making totally closed/private versions and even distributing these modified versions) ? And let (new) communities morph code and social contracts as they see fit.

Or do you fundamentally as the "owner" feel responsibility towards the 'code' - and grab the moral high ground - and keep some level of control over that - as to ensure that both code and community are viable & benefit long term. And then work very hard (but collectively) from there on.

The ASF does the first (and allows others to do the latter by not 'caring' about that all too much). IMHO the value of some other organizations are in their strength to do the latter.

Or in other words - a small aspect of the wider free beer vs free speech discussion. Or, the one I like better, is one a carpenter - you make a most lovely roof - and do not care about other (builders) building on to your work or owning it in any way - or are you a true artist or architect - caring about your work and the IPR beyond the point it was gifted to an owner.

Dw

*: which can't be called by the original apache project name anymore - and liability shielding applies for the code incorperated.

Re: Commerce and open-soure (Was) Proposal to join Apache OpenOffice

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Good one :-)

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.