Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com> on 2016/02/15 22:53:18 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Patches and precommits

Hi *,

now that we have working precommit checks up and running (thanks for all the work, guys – that’s just great!), I wonder if we should still accept patch files, for a simple reason: Patch files added to JIRA attachments obviously do not participate in the precommits. That’s unfortunate, and hence does not contribute anymore to the high quality level we want.

Is there a chance we can switch over to pull requests entirely? Or maybe we make it mandatory for changes of a certain size? But where to draw the line? Even one minorish typo at the right place can make the difference between make and break.

What do you think?
JensG

Re: [DISCUSSION] Patches and precommits

Posted by Randy Abernethy <ra...@apache.org>.
I am a big fan of the precommit as well (many thanks for that guys!).
Creating a pull request is about the same friction as uploading a patch but
the huge benefit at present is the build verification for pulls. If it
leads to an ongoing stable build and a single CI solution I would +1 pull
requests only.

A web update defining "the process" and the gating CI part and parcel.

-Randy

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.