Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by lu...@free.fr on 2008/02/06 14:02:08 UTC

[math] xdocs/images versus src/site/resources/images

I have checked in the updated chapter about the estimation package in the user
guide. I first tried to add the two UML diagrams as png images in the
xdocs.images directory, but maven 2  did not copy them to the generated site. I
finally found the generated images directoy came from src/site/resources/images
(I finally did not put the images there, but in a new neighbouring directory).

So what is the purpose of the xdocs/images directory ? Is it form maven 1 build
? Could we get rid of this directory and move xdocs into src/site since it seems
appropriate with maven 2 conventions, adapting the maven.xml file for maven 1
builds ?

Luc

Re: [math] xdocs/images versus src/site/resources/images

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 6, 2008 11:18 PM, Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr> wrote:
> Niall Pemberton a écrit :
>
> > On Feb 6, 2008 1:02 PM,  <lu...@free.fr> wrote:
> >> I have checked in the updated chapter about the estimation package in the user
> >> guide. I first tried to add the two UML diagrams as png images in the
> >> xdocs.images directory, but maven 2  did not copy them to the generated site. I
> >> finally found the generated images directoy came from src/site/resources/images
> >> (I finally did not put the images there, but in a new neighbouring directory).
> >>
> >> So what is the purpose of the xdocs/images directory ? Is it form maven 1 build?
> >
> > Yes its for m1.
> >
> >> Could we get rid of this directory and move xdocs into src/site since it seems
> >> appropriate with maven 2 conventions, adapting the maven.xml file for maven 1
> >> builds ?
> >
> > You would need to configure m1 to look in the new place for the site
> > generation to still work - can't remember how to do that - either in
> > project.xml or project.properties.
>
> I have done the following on my local workspace:
>
>   1) removing the xdocs/images directory
>   2) moving xdocs directory in src/site/xdoc (beware of the final
>      's' that must be removed)
>   3) setting in projects.properties:
>        maven.docs.src=${basedir}/src/site/xdocs
>   4) adding to the <postGoal name="xdoc:copy-resources"> rule
>      in maven.xml:
>      <copy todir="${maven.docs.dest}/images">
>        <fileset file='${maven.docs.src}/../resources/images/**'/>
>      </copy>
>      <copy todir="${maven.docs.dest}/userguide">
>        <fileset file='${maven.docs.src}/../resources/userguide/**'/>
>      </copy>
>
> With this, both m1 an m2 generated the site properly from the same xml
> files, the same images, and the same extra user guide resources. They do
> not generate it in the same directory (target/docs vs. target/site), but
> this could also be done simply if really needed thanks to the
> maven.docs.dest property. Without any changes, m1 does not generate the
> user guide properly.
>
> I don't know m1 at all, so does this change seems sensible to you experts ?

Looks good to me, and if it works then go for it.

Niall

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.