Posted to mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Ajoy Bhatia <aj...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/13 18:56:15 UTC

Newcomer developer seeking to copntribute

Hi,

I am a software developer and have been working in the industry since 1991.
I have written Java code for Map-Reduce jobs in my recent jobs. I want to
contribute to the Hadoop project, and signed up for mapreduce-dev mailing
list but I am open to contributing to any Hadoop project module that needs
help.

I would like to know of any beginner-level issues that I could start
working on. I have gone through the Newcomers and Getting Started pages on
community.apache.org. As suggested, I searched Hadoop Map/Reduce Jira for
issues tagged "GSoC" or "mentor". That didn't help me identify something
suitable. I would appreciate any help in getting me started as a
contributor.

Thanks...
- Ajoy

Re: Newcomer developer seeking to copntribute

Posted by Ray Chiang <rc...@cloudera.com>.
Welcome aboard.

I'd recommend reading the HowToContribute wiki for understanding the
contribution process.

For other tips on getting started, there is the "newbie" label in JIRA, but
it's an imperfect sorting.  I recommend doing the following:

1) Look at unit test JIRAs, both open and closed.  Tons of benefits:
they'll help you understand some part of the API, some could use some
comments and enhancements, etc.
2) Pick a component (ResourceManager, NodeManager, MR APIs, DataNode,
NameNode, etc.) and focus on that to start.  It's easier than trying to
understand it all at once.
3) Participate in some code reviews.  It will be non-binding, but testing
out other code can help you understand some part.

-Ray