Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Diwaker Gupta <di...@maginatics.com> on 2011/02/24 19:59:00 UTC

Development process

Is there a documented (or at least well understood) development
process for Thrift? In particular:

* How is code reviewed? I've seen people attach patches to Jira, but
thats not very convenient and makes the review process cumbersome and
less transparent. I noticed some people using
http://codereview.appspot.com/. What do people feel about a dedicated
ReviewBoard or Gerrit instance?

* Is there a style/formatting guide for the code?

* Most of the development seems to be driven by Jira issues. Is there
any prioritization or roadmap on top of that?

Diwaker

AW: Development process

Posted by Roger Meier <ro...@bufferoverflow.ch>.
Hi Diwaker

Good questions! I think....
- At apache we have https://reviews.apache.org , but usually we discuss and
review on the dev list or via JIRA issues and commit afterwards. That's
fine.
- Continuous Integration is important:
https://hudson.apache.org/hudson/job/Thrift/ => ruby & go is currently
missing:-(
- We have the wiki page  http://wiki.apache.org/thrift/HowToContribute
describing how to contribute
- We do not have a nice Logo and web site making our attitude visible: "we
talk any language" and "high performance" .... do we have some artists here?
- Yes, a wiki page http://wiki.apache.org/thrift/RoadMap is a great idea!
- Reliability, performance and  interoperability across languages (e.g.
THRIFT-847) is the super important topic => Quality, Testing, CI, short
Release Cycles, Refactoring , etc.
- I agree with Bryan: "We don't have any "official" coding style guidelines,
though I'd say pretty much every library (and the compiler) have an implicit
set of guidelines they follow."

Greetings & Thank you ALL for making Thrift better!

roger

Re: Development process

Posted by Christian Lavoie <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Diwaker Gupta <di...@maginatics.com> wrote:
> Is there a documented (or at least well understood) development
> process for Thrift? In particular:
>
> * How is code reviewed? I've seen people attach patches to Jira, but
> thats not very convenient and makes the review process cumbersome and
> less transparent.

Attachments to JIRA are (I believe) required for licensing reasons --
there's an explicit step in the upload process to assign copyright to
the ASF, and the code is not to be committed without the proper
assignment.

> I noticed some people using
> http://codereview.appspot.com/. What do people feel about a dedicated
> ReviewBoard or Gerrit instance?

People are welcomed to use any tool they want before submitting a
patch, but see above as to why that step is as it is right now.

Personally, I'm old school and don't care much for fancy web UIs.

> * Is there a style/formatting guide for the code?

"Match the code in the files you're modifying" for the compiler and
common libs, and "Stay close to community-accepted standards" for
specific bindings.

So no, no official document.

> * Most of the development seems to be driven by Jira issues. Is there
> any prioritization or roadmap on top of that?

We all try to fix critical bugs when raised to our attention; so far
it's a best-effort project. Facebook cares a fair bit about C++ and
Java performance, so those areas get improved regularly. I do my best
to handle Haskell issues (especially patches) as fast as practical
(constraints on personal time aside), and other volunteers do the same
in their areas of interest.

We tend to cut release after it's been a while, when changes warrant it.

--
Have fun, Christian
http://linkedin.christianlavoie.net

"I won't let you fall apart."