Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Anusha Vishwanath <an...@versata.com> on 2008/06/24 11:27:38 UTC

Expected beta release for POI - Open XML support

Hello,

Please let me know when a beta release of POI with support for Open XML will
be available (or if it's already available). I found a mail in the archive
for this mailing list dated 23 May, 2008 pointing to an SVN branch, but I
would like to know if an official release is available, and if not, when it
is expected to be.

Thanks!

Warm regards,
Anusha

--
Anusha Vishwanath, Versata
Office: (+91)-80-4132-2707

Re: Expected beta release for POI - Open XML support

Posted by Anusha Vishwanath <an...@versata.com>.
Nick,

I will get my senior management to look at sponsoring some of the
development on Open XML. Unfortunately I don't have enough clout to promise
you sponsorship, but I will try my best :). We have used POI for long and
it's a great library.

Warm regards,
Anusha

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Anusha Vishwanath wrote:
>
>> Please let me know when a beta release of POI with support for Open XML
>> will be available (or if it's already available).
>>

> You can get nightlies from
>        http://encore.torchbox.com/poi-svn-build/OOXML-Branch/
>
> The main beta release is currently on hold. We have identified a few areas
> of the specification which aren't as clear as they might be, and we're
> awaiting confirmation from Microsoft that they really won't sue us or our
> users. We will hopefully be getting that soon (they're overdue getting back
> to us).
>
> The beta vote is likely to start about a day after we get the assurance :)
>

> One thing to be aware of is that there hasn't been much progress on the
> ooxml codebase recently. SourceSense were funded to do some work on the
> ooxml support, but I believe that funding has now run out. No other
> organisations have come forward willing to sponsor any more work.
>
> So, if you value the ooxml support, please consider getting your company to
> sponsor some of the development. That could be assigning a developer to work
> on the code, or funding one of the existing poi developers to work on it. Do
> please get in touch if you think your company could be in a position to do
> either of these
>
> Nick

Anusha Vishwanath, Versata

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.