Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Raman Gupta <ro...@fastmail.fm> on 2004/09/13 21:46:55 UTC

Difference Summary

Is there a way to get a difference summary?  In CVS, this would be:

  cvs rdiff -s -r REV1 -r REV2

I understand this problem is a lot tougher in subversion due to
directory revisioning, but is there something similar?

Cheers,
Raman

Re: Difference Summary

Posted by Raman Gupta <ro...@fastmail.fm>.
Chip Turner wrote:

>Raman Gupta <ro...@fastmail.fm> writes:
>

>>Is there a way to get a difference summary?  In CVS, this would be:
>>
>>  cvs rdiff -s -r REV1 -r REV2
>>
>>I understand this problem is a lot tougher in subversion due to
>>directory revisioning, but is there something similar?
>>

>I like to do something like this:
>
>svn diff | lsdiff
>
>Not quite the same, but a nice summary.  Also diffstat.  Be aware that
>you may miss info about metadata changes.  diffstat is also a good
>pipe-target.

Great, I'll give these a shot (thank goodness for cygwin!).  In the long
run, I suppose an svn summary output that listed renames, additions, and
deletions directly would be nice -- haven't tried it yet, but I'm
assuming that the tools above will not handle those situations
correctly.  Even better would be to stick with the unix philosophy and
have some sort of modified patch output from svn that included tree
changes, and an associated toolset for piping. Might that be in the
works, or at least being thought about?

Cheers,
Raman

Re: Difference Summary

Posted by Chip Turner <ct...@redhat.com>.
Raman Gupta <ro...@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Is there a way to get a difference summary?  In CVS, this would be:
>
>   cvs rdiff -s -r REV1 -r REV2
>
> I understand this problem is a lot tougher in subversion due to
> directory revisioning, but is there something similar?

I like to do something like this:

svn diff | lsdiff

Not quite the same, but a nice summary.  Also diffstat.  Be aware that
you may miss info about metadata changes.  diffstat is also a good
pipe-target.

lsdiff, and other similar utils, is at:
  http://cyberelk.net/tim/patchutils/

Chip