Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Brett Hitzel <bh...@jumptvinc.com> on 2008/06/02 17:16:41 UTC

Apache commons inter-dependencies

Hello,

On our Tomcat installation we are utilizing the following jar files
(among others):

commons-httpclient-2.0.2.jar

commons-beanutils-1.6.jar

commons-codec-1.3.jar

commons-collections-2.1.1.jar

commons-dbcp-1.2.1.jar

commons-discovery-0.2.jar

commons-el.jar

commons-lang-1.0-b1.jar

commons-logging-1.0.1.jar

commons-pool-1.2.jar

These are mostly all some degree of outdated I know, unfortunately that
is out of necessity right now, due to some legacy applications.

We have identified the need to upgrade commons-httpclient to version
3.1. Due to the rather precarious nature of our system, we prefer to NOT
upgrade the remaining common libs if we do not have to. I have read all
through the documentation and I wasn't able to find much information on
the inter-dependencies of the commons files, but based on what I've read
it seems that the individual components are built in such a way that
their respective versions shouldn't matter much. Is there a matrix out
there that details what versions of what components will work together
and which ones won't? Is this even something I should be worried about?

I am new to these forums and fairly green with Java as well, so please
talk plainly :-).

Thanks,

Brett

Re: Apache commons inter-dependencies

Posted by Julius Davies <ju...@gmail.com>.
Httpclient-3.x is fine with those versions of commons-codec and commons-logging.

Httpclient-3.x does not use any of the other jars, so you'll be fine
if you don't upgrade them.

In other words:  Yes, you can upload your httpclient jar, and leave
the rest alone.

yours,

Julius

yours,