Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Juan Carlos Becerra Irene <jc...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/26 19:27:50 UTC

Simultaneous use of Subversion and SourceSafe

Hello,

We are constarting a project, which consists of modifying an creating .NET
components for a different company (our customers). We work in our own
office in a different country. Our customers use SourceSafe, and have
created an exclusive repository for us in their server in a remote location.
The idea is that when we have some code ready, we check it in there, they
review it, and if everything is ok, they move it to the main repository.

We have been trying to use SourceSafe for a couple of weeks, but we are not
really convinced about it, (I'm pretty sure most of you are not either). So,
we are thinking of using Subversion locally and when we have some "release
code", we check it in in the SourceSafe repository.

We have designed some scenarios for this to work, but we are not sure if
it's really feasible.Does anybody has had a similar experience?, would you
like to share it?

Thank you,
Juan Carlos

Re: Simultaneous use of Subversion and SourceSafe

Posted by Juan Carlos Becerra Irene <jc...@gmail.com>.
> I'm curious to know if anyone's tried to run a VSS shop simultaneously on
> VSS and SVN, checking into both during the transition and training period?

As I see now, we will try to do it so.

We will have our own revision history in Subversion, and will check in on
SourceSafe only when we have some deliverables.

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Tuesday, September 26, 2006 2:27 PM -0500 Juan Carlos Becerra Irene
<jc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> we are thinking of using Subversion locally and when we have some "release
> code", we check it in in the SourceSafe repository.

That's exactly what I do. I use VSS to check out a snapshot from their DB
and then check it in on a "vendor branch" in my Subversion repo. Then I
branch that to create a working branch for my additions. It's tedious, and
we're in the process of getting them converted to Subversion.

Posted by Ted Dennison <de...@ssd.fsi.com>.
Kenneth Porter wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 27, 2006 10:13 AM -0500 Juan Carlos Becerra
> Irene <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'd suggest disabling the source control provider in the registry, by
> hiding the key.
>
> I have access to my client's VSS repo over a slow VPN link, and when I
> first ran the VC6 IDE it wanted to connect to VSS for every subproject
> (AKA directory), which took forever. There was no way to abort the
> process. I renamed the source control registry key and VC6 skipped
> that and started much more quickly. This essentially forces all "real"
> version control to use the explicit ssexp.exe VSS IDE.
You can make this a bit easier by using the Visual Studio Source Code
Control Provider Switcher add-in from
http://codeproject.com/macro/sccprovider.asp .

--
T.E.D.   Work     -  mailto:dennison@ssd.fsi.com
         Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)

Re: Simultaneous use of Subversion and SourceSafe

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.

Posted by Juan Carlos Becerra Irene <jc...@gmail.com>.
I agree with you, there is no benefit in using SourceSafe, but unfortunately
we cannot deliver as a tarball, we "have" to check in the code on the
repository they created.

One of the problems we find is that when we check out the code from
SourceSafe, some files (.csproj and .sln) have embedded metadata related to
SourceSafe. One of the solutions we would like to try is to "comment" or
"remove" the metadata before creating our SVN repository. This would imply
more work, because we would have to "uncomment" the metadata when we have a
deliverable to check in on the SourceSafe repository.

I don't know if this is a good idea, but as I said in my first message, I'll
rather use SVN much more than SourceSafe.

Thank you for your answer,
Juan Carlos

Posted by Juan Carlos Becerra Irene <jc...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot for your answers.

We'll take a look at the different options and I hope we'll manage to do it.

I'll try to write some follow-up later, when everything is up and running.

Regards,

Posted by "Jorge.Uriarte" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Juan Carlos Becerra Irene wrote:

> We have designed some scenarios for this to work, but we are not sure if
> it's really feasible.Does anybody has had a similar experience?, would you
> like to share it?

We make a similar process, though we release to an external CVS repo (in our
client's infrastructure).
Out teams promote the code into a 'release branch', and there's a process
that checks it out from SVN, exports to a CVS wc, and committs in there.

The process is straightforward once it's running, and we get best of both
worlds. Our conf management here, and a release tracking there.

I bet doing it with VSS will not make such a difference.

HTH,

_
Jorge