Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org> on 2017/07/05 17:29:09 UTC

How long should we give Beginner bugs on Bugzilla before fixing them?

Hi all,

I've been on a mission of sorts to find some small bugs in Tomcat and
file them in BZ for new contributors to fix. I think that's a good
entry ramp for new contributors to see how the process works, etc. The
reason for this email though is that I'm not sure how long we should
wait to see if anyone is interested. Anyone have any ideas here? The
Beginner things that I've been filing are small/not-super-important
things so they don't really have any urgency, however as a new
contributor myself I'd like to get my contribution count up ;)

Also, while I have your attention I'd like to say that I've been
working under the assumption that no committer comments on a BZ after
a few days means that it's OK to proceed with and isn't a stupid idea.
Is that accurate?

Thanks,
Coty

Re: How long should we give Beginner bugs on Bugzilla before fixing them?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 05/07/17 18:29, Coty Sutherland wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been on a mission of sorts to find some small bugs in Tomcat and
> file them in BZ for new contributors to fix. I think that's a good
> entry ramp for new contributors to see how the process works, etc. The
> reason for this email though is that I'm not sure how long we should
> wait to see if anyone is interested. Anyone have any ideas here? The
> Beginner things that I've been filing are small/not-super-important
> things so they don't really have any urgency, however as a new
> contributor myself I'd like to get my contribution count up ;)

At the moment, I think 2 or 3 bugs would be plenty given the frequency
that new people pop up and ask "What can I do?"

> Also, while I have your attention I'd like to say that I've been
> working under the assumption that no committer comments on a BZ after
> a few days means that it's OK to proceed with and isn't a stupid idea.
> Is that accurate?

Generally, yes. Rarely, a review of a commit might ID issues but that is
unusual.

Mark