Posted to modules-dev@httpd.apache.org by Oğuzhan TOPGÜL <og...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/08 14:01:44 UTC

Performance Evaluation of a Module

Hi all,
I have developed an apache module and i want to evaluate the performance of
my module.
I want to see how my module increases the load. I want to measure the
effect of my module on processor and memory.
I decided to set an evaluation environment using snmp and cacti.
I'm sending thousands of request from a laptop to the server which my
module is installed by using apache benchmark (ab). And i'm measuring load
average, memory usage data from cacti in two different cases (my module is
active and passive)

Do you think this is a good evaluation environment or do you have any
ideas, suggestions???

sincerely

Oguzhan

Re: Performance Evaluation of a Module

Posted by Ben Noordhuis <in...@bnoordhuis.nl>.
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 14:01, Oğuzhan TOPGÜL <og...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have developed an apache module and i want to evaluate the performance of
> my module.
> I want to see how my module increases the load. I want to measure the
> effect of my module on processor and memory.
> I decided to set an evaluation environment using snmp and cacti.
> I'm sending thousands of request from a laptop to the server which my
> module is installed by using apache benchmark (ab). And i'm measuring load
> average, memory usage data from cacti in two different cases (my module is
> active and passive)
>
> Do you think this is a good evaluation environment or do you have any
> ideas, suggestions???
>
> sincerely
>
> Oguzhan

That's a pretty sensible approach. Measuring CPU usage is usually
better done with a profiler unless a coarse-grained indicator like the
load average is good enough.

Re: Performance Evaluation of a Module

Posted by Stefan Ruppert <sr...@myarm.com>.
On 08.02.2012 14:01, Oğuzhan TOPGÜL wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have developed an apache module and i want to evaluate the performance of
> my module.
> I want to see how my module increases the load. I want to measure the
> effect of my module on processor and memory.
> I decided to set an evaluation environment using snmp and cacti.
> I'm sending thousands of request from a laptop to the server which my
> module is installed by using apache benchmark (ab). And i'm measuring load
> average, memory usage data from cacti in two different cases (my module is
> active and passive)
>
> Do you think this is a good evaluation environment or do you have any
> ideas, suggestions???

Maybe you want to measure the response time of each HTTP request with
and without your module? For that purpose you can use the mod_arm4
module with a ARM4 agent!

Regards,
Stefan

--
Stefan Ruppert <st...@myarm.com>
MyARM GmbH, Altkönigstr. 7, 65830 Kriftel, Germany