Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/19 05:12:56 UTC

simplify ping target maintenance?

Team,  I'm late to the blogging software game so don't know the whole
story, but Apache Roller presently provides users two ping-related tabs:

1.) "Common Ping Targets" set up by the blog administrators. Individual
bloggers are welcome to disable or enable whichever ones they want.

2.) "Custom Ping Targets",  or those targets not set up by
administrators.  Individual blog owners can identify their own ping
targets and activate them here, good just for the blog.

I don't think ping targets are nearly as important today as they were
several years ago, before Google became GOOGLE.  Nowadays, you just blog
and set the correct META description elements, and in a few days Google
has your blog entry and returns it to web searchers.  I never hear
people talking about ping targets today (and three out of the four
targets we presently support OOTB appear to be really minor websites),
they're primarily concerned about SEO and getting to the first page of
Google returns.

If I'm correct that ping targets are falling in importance, I wonder if
we should scale down and simplify Roller's functionality in this area,
namely move from two tabs to one with respect to ping targets.  One
solution could be discontinuing the custom ping targets page, for the
few individual bloggers caring about a new ping target, he can just ask
the blog administrator for him to include for all bloggers.  There
probably aren't many additional ping targets beyond the four that Roller
5.1 already offers OOTB anyway, and arguably an administrator should
have to manually approve a ping target before it can be enabled.  WDYT?

Cheers,
Glen

Re: Remove Custom Ping Target Page? (Re: simplify ping target maintenance?)

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
No, I don't mind keeping pings as that's something blog servers should
be able to handle and it's a useful technology that can serve other
purposes within some company intranets, it's just that we don't need two
tabs for them anymore.  I'll also be removing the unused/empty
"pingcategory" table which allowed for pinging conditional on the blog
category of the new blog entry, as there's no coding for it in Roller
trunk and is also overkill given ping servers' reduced usage today.

Glen

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
+1

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
Team, as part of modernizing Roller in 5.1 I'd like us to move from two
Pings-related tabs to just one to account for their diminished usage
today.  In particular, remove the blog-level Custom Ping Targets tab.
We would just have a single Pings tab for the user to enable/disable
ping targets defined by the blog administrator.

This change would have no impact on one-user blogs where the blog admin
is the blogger, as he can add whatever ping targets he wants still on
the admin-level Ping targets tab.  Also, individual bloggers would still
have access to their own Pings tab to enable or disable whatever ping
targets are defined by the administrator. However, this change will
require individual bloggers who have another ping target they would like
to use (a rare situation today) to get their Admin to add it to the
Pings tab, with a default of either ON or OFF, for the individual
blogger to then activate (if OFF) on his own Pings tab for his blog.  WDYT?

Regards,
Glen