Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Jack Tsai <ja...@outlook.com> on 2020/01/07 04:23:14 UTC

回覆: [DISCUSS] Enable github issue?

Hi,

I also would like to share my opinion about this.

It might be hard for some newbies to distinguish normal using problems or bugs in the program, which I got this kind of problem before.

Once people found the Github issue is opened, those who don’t care or not noticing the community rules might just report program bugs on Github issue as they usually did on other open source projects.

If we choose not to sync Github issues with JIRA, I think it would be a mass if the community keeps growing.

Btw, I have saw some other open source communities such as Dubbo (Apache project) or Checkstyle (non-Apache project) using Gitter as the tool for people asking some normal using problems. I think this could also be a good place for those who need helps, and it is also friendly to worldwide users :-)

Best regards,
Jack Tsai

寄件者: Tian Jiang<ma...@163.com>
傳送時間: 2020年1月7日 上午 03:30
收件者: dev@iotdb.apache.org<ma...@iotdb.apache.org>
主旨: Re: [DISCUSS] Enable github issue?

Hi,

That may be true, but Jira’s project management is way better than Github’s. It would be a pity to deprecate Jira while managing both sides manually is a disaster.

Best,
Tian Jiang
On 01/7/2020 09:52,Jialin Qiao<qi...@apache.org> wrote:
Hi,

As we don't have the user@iotdb.apache.org, maybe we can just let user
to use github issue directly for asking help from community.
If we just use the github issue for user to ask questions, I don't
think we need to sync these issues with JIRA.

+1, This is also my intention.

Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> 于2020年1月6日周一 下午10:29写道:

As we don't have the user@iotdb.apache.org, maybe we can just let user
to use github issue directly for asking help from community.
If we just use the github issue for user to ask questions, I don't
think we need to sync these issues with JIRA.

Just my 2 cents.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 10:04 PM Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi Chris,

Using https://github.com/coreos/issue-sync as an example (though it can
not
sync github and jira two-way), we need a jira account that can submit
issues. As everyone can register account, there is no problem.

But the tool requires change JIRA's project template, e.g., add some
fields
to an issue. I am not sure which permission can do that.

I think this tool is not the only choice, I need more survey...

By the way, can you help us to change the permission schema on jira? The
discussion is at [1].
The following is the summary:

Current the "Assignable User" needs to be Administrator/PMC/Committer.
However, if someone (who is not a committer) reports a bug and he/she has
the ability to fix that and can submit a PR. I think we can assign the
issue to him/her.

Therefore, I suggest to change "Assignable User" to
Administrator/PMC/Committer/Reporter/Contributor..

[1]

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/898b485759b49d143b506a1aabca1e6bceeffffa011b5c168aaa8cc2%40%3Cdev.iotdb.apache.org%3E

Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

黄向东
清华大学 软件学院

Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> 于2020年1月6日周一 下午9:51写道:

Hi all,

Well I have admin permissions for the IoTDB space ... I can change the
settings of the project and manage the permissions etc. for it.
I will not be able to add plugins etc. to Jira and also will I not be
able
to create a technical account under which such a tool could be running.

For this we will have to involve Infra.

I could imagine that creating a sync tool at apache would probably be
the
only option I see so far to have this running.

Chris

Am 06.01.20, 14:39 schrieb "Xiangdong Huang" <sa...@gmail.com>:

Hi Chris,

Yes sync automatically is needed.
I will go to JIRA to ask INFRA to open Github issue. Then we can
try
which
tool works well for us.
I think we will need your help at that time because you have
IoTDB's
JIRA
administration permission. :-D

Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

黄向东
清华大学 软件学院

Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> 于2020年1月6日周一 下午2:01写道:

Hi Xiangdong,

Yeah, I noticed that too... Was sort of distracted by the "sign
up
for
free"... But in general I just wanted to point out the option to
use
tooling to sync stuff automatically.

I did check and there is a public github issues rest api and I've
used the
jira one several times before... Shouldn't be that hard to build
something,
if your option doesn't work.

Chris