Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com> on 2020/09/17 21:06:41 UTC

Avoiding "too many open files" during leftOuterJoin with Flink 1.11/batch

Hi all,

When I do a leftOuterJoin(stream, JoinHint.REPARTITION_SORT_MERGE), I’m running into an IOException caused by too many open files.

The slaves in my YARN cluster (each with 48 slots and 320gb memory) are currently set up with a limit of 32767, so I really don’t want to crank this up much higher.

In perusing the code, I assume the issue is that SpillingBuffer.nextSegment() can open a writer per segment.

So if I have a lot of data (e.g. several TBs) that I’m joining, I can wind up with > 32K segments that are open for writing.

Does that make sense? And is the best solution currently (without say using more, smaller servers to reduce the per-server load) to increase the taskmanager.memory.segment-size configuration setting from 32K to something larger, so I’d have fewer active segments?

If I do that, any known side-effects I should worry about?

Thanks,

— Ken

PS - a CoGroup is happening at the same time, so it’s possible that’s also hurting (or maybe the real source of the problem), but the leftOuterJoin failed first.

--------------------------
Ken Krugler
http://www.scaleunlimited.com
custom big data solutions & training
Hadoop, Cascading, Cassandra & Solr

Re: Avoiding "too many open files" during leftOuterJoin with Flink 1.11/batch

Posted by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>.
Hi Chesnay,

Thanks, and you were right - it wasn’t a case of too many memory segments triggering too many open files.

It was a configuration issue with Elasticsearch clients being used by a custom function. This just happened to start being executed at the same time as the leftOuterJoin & CoGroup.

Each ES client has an HttpAsync connection pool with 30 connections, and these connections have a linger time.

Each connection requires 3 file descriptors (1 a_inode, 1 FIFO read, 1FIFO write).

Each subtask uses 17 clients, writing to different ES indices.

Each TM has 24 slots.

So 24 * 17 * 30 * 3 = 36,720 or slightly above the server's 32K max open files.

— Ken

PS - what’s sad is a few months ago I’d written up a document for a client describing the need to tune their HttpClient connection pool, based on their Flink job’s parallelism…doh!

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.