Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/19 01:56:41 UTC

Feedback on First screenshots of Custom Colors (PIVOT-579)

Hi to all,
inside the zip you can find the first version of some json custom
color definitions for the Terra 2.0 skin, related to a WindowsXP-like
and a Windows2000-like GUI (or better, colors), and a sample
screenshot for both as usual of the "Kitchen Sink" but note that base
colors of some elements there are always overridden (so some elements
in this demo have a different color from the default).

I have tried to start from real native applications and work on their
colors to reproduce here with color pickers and screenshots.
It's a first version (I'm still non satisfied much with them, but here
I have many constraints, the Terra theme has its own logics on colors)
... and I haven't committed them to svn, but after your suggestions
I'll do it ...

I like more the white version of it (TerraTheme_windowsXP.json), but
probably there is too much white in the background and I should darken
some white.
The gray here looks a little confuse (TerraTheme_windows2000.json) but
also this probably can be tuned a little (darkening some grays and
maybe also some white here).

And last, tooltips here never use a yellow color (there is one color
for them in the palette), you can see it for example in the validation
of Input Text fields.
But probably this is right because they are validation messages ...

What do you think ?

After I'll do the same for ubuntu 10.04 and OS X ... and Swing (Metal)
... tell me if someone needs something other standard.

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Feedback on First screenshots of Custom Colors (PIVOT-579)

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Looks good.
FYI, I renamed the two XP schemes to -winxp1.json and -winxp2.json, just for consistency with the other files.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Looks good.

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi to all, and thanks for the suggestions :-) , now I'll try to have a
better "appeal" on colors, trying to change them a little (from those
captured).

> In the gray version I'm confused that the Table header is lighter than the content, in opposite to TabPane, where the "header" is darker than the content (which is white). The Table rows are too dark.
I agree with you, but I have to speak with Greg and other developers
to see if there are some little things to fix in Terra skin usage of
colors in some components (as Dirk said).

Related on this ticket for the 2.0 release, I have also 2 other small
tickets that should give json colors files some more degree of control
on colors ... stay tuned.

Posted by Dirk Moebius <dm...@scoop-gmbh.de>.
Looks nice.
I also like the white version more.

In the gray version I'm confused that the Table header is lighter than
the content, in opposite to TabPane, where the "header" is darker than
the content (which is white). The Table rows are too dark.

Dirk.

Posted by Luiz Gustavo <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sandro!

Nice work! I liked specially the Win_XP_Colors_White. I just think that the
tooltip color may be confusing, when the tooltip is above another component.

Cheers,

Luiz Gustavo

--
Luiz Gustavo S. de Souza