Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Kartik Ohri <ka...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/25 16:56:13 UTC

Working on a Stream-based Java statistical processing library

Hi, I am interested in working on a Stream-based Java statistical
processing library as described here at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STATISTICS-7 . Can someone point
me to how I can get started ?

Re: Working on a Stream-based Java statistical processing library

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Le sam. 25 janv. 2020 à 17:56, Kartik Ohri <ka...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi, I am interested in working on a Stream-based Java statistical
> processing library

Thanks for your interest in contributing.

> as described here at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STATISTICS-7 . Can someone point
> me to how I can get started ?

That depends on what you mean.
The source code is here:
    https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-statistics.git;a=tree

The idea is to add a maven module for each type of functionality implemented
in the "org.apache.commons.math4.stat" package of "Commons Math" project:
    https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-math.git;a=tree;f=src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math4/stat
First guess would be to have a module for each sub-package, i.e.
 * commons-statistics-correlation
 * commons-statistics-descriptive
 * commons-statistics-inference
 * commons-statistics-interval
 * commons-statistics-ranking
 * commons-statistics-regression

You would start with the most bottom-level functionality (i.e. the
packages/modules that do not depend on any other).

Proposed design should be discussed on this mailing list.
Then, steps of the implementation should have a corresponding
ticket on the project's issue tracking JIRA project:
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STATISTICS

Note: The "Commons Math" JIRA project:
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH
contains identified issues with the "stat" package, so the refactoring
is more work than porting the classes.

If you have other questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Gilles