Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rajeev Jha <jh...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/22 19:25:51 UTC

maximum number of threads for tomcat

Hi
We are desiging a push application to run with tomcat. Our servlet
interfaces to a backend and listens for async events, when the events
arrive,data is pushed to the browser.  Browser opens a keep-alive
connection and shows the data received from servlet.

The doGet() method is like this

doGet(request, response){
 initial_processing();
 while(!Exit_Condition){
      data = pipe.read() // this method will block for events
      process(data);
      out.flush();
  }
 out.close();

}

so this is one request - one thread model.  we would like to know how
many threads can be churned on a desktop-type machine with 1 GB RAM
running linux 2.6.x. People say things like " on new kernels, high
number of  threads should not be a problem" .  on my machine default
thread-max is 32k.  But i really do not know how to achieve such
numbers with tomcat.

when i do the arithmetic  for my JVM, say , with 128k thread stack
size and 512 MB heap,i get only about 16 x 256 ==  4k, so in reality
maybe 1k threads . how what am i missing here ? How can i tune the
maximum number of supported threads. Any pointers/resources. any-one
on this list running 4k-8k threads with tomcat ?

Thanks

Rajeev.