Posted to users@solr.apache.org by "Natarajan, Rajeswari" <ra...@sap.com.INVALID> on 2023/02/16 07:00:16 UTC

Re: Standalone Solr upgrade from 4.x to 8.x

Thanks much for the reply.

On 2/15/23, 4:12 PM, "Shawn Heisey" <apache@elyograg.org <ma...@elyograg.org>> wrote:

On 2/14/23 20:02, Natarajan, Rajeswari wrote:
> Would like to know if it is possible to upgrade standalone solr from 4.x to 8.x
>
> Is there a wiki available. Please let me know.

In most cases when jumping more than one major version you will have to
completely reindex from scratch.

You can't upgrade it step-by-step to one major version at a time,
because starting in one of the 6.x versions, the Lucene version that
originally wrote each segment is recorded and never gets updated or
removed. If a segment has no version or the earliest version recorded
is less than 7.0, then 8.x will refuse to open it. 9.x is similar for
anything older than 8.0.

I have seen a tool that bypasses this version check, allowing upgrades
that Lucene prevents. Even if you did use that tool and managed to get
it to work, it's a bad idea, which is why it's explicitly blocked.

Thanks,
Shawn