Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by of...@nym.hush.com on 2015/07/05 16:57:25 UTC

How to trigger production run of arbitrary product on order 'approve'ment

Dear List,

in demo setup, when there is an order CREATED including a
'Configurable PC',
there is a 'production run' (indeed 2 of them) generated without
user interaction.

Let aside tnat this sounds a little odd to me, because the order is
not yet 'approve'd, yet the workshop may allready start production,

I would like to have an arbitrary non-configurable product trigger
it's 'production run' on 'APPROVE'al of the order.

When I tried a 'configurable good' product with no config, there
was no 'production run' triggered (possibly due to lack of
'configuration').

By chance, I managed to configure products that trigger
'requirements' on order 'APPROVE'al, but I found no way to trigger
a 'production run' from that.

So, another way to go could be to have a 'production run' from
'requirement' triggered on order 'APPROVE'al; even a button on the
order form next to the requirement link would be fine.

It is essential that the 'order' field in the 'production run'
record is filled, so that the content of the order can be accessed
from 'production run'

I see these options to solve my problem:

a) have a 'configurable good' with no options 'configured'
automatically and
   thus trigger 'production run', but on order approval only

b) have an arbitrary product or 'good' that generates a requirement
on
   order approval, then have a (possibly cyclic) service triggering
   production run from that

c) have a (possibly new) product type that trigger it's production
run on
   order approval

I would probably prefer b).

Is there documentation about these workflows and how they can be
configured?

Kind regards,

Re: How to trigger production run of arbitrary product on order 'approve'ment

Posted by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi

There is a way to setup Requirements being created using the Requirement
Method Enum Id on the main product screen. You'll need to expand the
Inventory section to see it. (Perhaps this is the way you are generating the
requirements?)

You'll still need to attach your product to a manufacturing routing etc

Set the Requirement Method Enum Id to Create a Requirement for Each Sales
Order
Then when you Approve a Sales Order the Requirement is created.

And in theory when you Approve the Requirement – the Production Run should
be created for your Sales Order.

I do remember there was a bug in that twhen he Requirement was created ,it
was as a Product Requirement and these don't create production runs. The
workaround used to be that if you changed the Product Requirement to an
Internal Requirement then it would create the production run.

I've done a quick test on the Trunk and that workaround doesn't seem to be
working anymore so something has changed that may need to be fixed. So the
functionality you need is there - it maybe just needs to be looked at again
to find out why it's stopped working.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: How to trigger production run of arbitrary product on order 'approve'ment

Posted by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Thanks for all the details.  I'd like to do some testing to replicate what
you describe and also do some further investigation but I won't have time to
look at this again before the weekend. Unless you get some responses
beforehand, I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks
Sharan